Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a 81 XJ650 Maxim project

81 XJ650 Maxim-I
    $550, 19K miles, new battery, has sat for 2 years.

I'm hoping I can get the motor free'd up and get carbs cleaned and engine running, there was a lot of gas in the oil that I drained.

Nice find. Good luck!
    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Engine seems not to be stuck currently, crank turns fine with a wrench.
      Starter motor itself tests good, just have to fix whatever electrically between start button and starter motor.
      Fix some things here and there. I have some parts to cannibalize between an 83 CB650 Honda Nighthawk and a 79 XS11 special.

Comment

battery charged, xs11 starter solenoid in, motor turns over fine. NICE

Comment

good bike

Hey Tajman,,,I have had a number of xj's from 550 to the 1100 and they all have the same maintenance and problems,,,,CLEAN THE CARBS ADD a FUEL FILTER. Every single one I restored needed the carbs thoroughly cleaned and a fuel filter, or two, to stop the crud. They all wind out like a banshee, lots of fun on the 650 xj. lighter, easy to move around, better gas milage- around 45 mpg. So, go through it, flush the fluids, lube up the cables, flush the fork fluid,etc... and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!! Mike in Sun Diego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

Thanks for the advice, those are all the things I will be doing!!

I've never flushed fork fluid before, done everything else..
            I was taking the carbs off to clean right now.

The key I have only fits the ignition switch but not the gas cap or the chain lock. I was going to take the tank into a locksmith, and see if he could pick it open then make a new key that fits that lock cylinder.

How about XS11 rear shocks on the XJ650?

The front brake didn't work at all when I got it, fluid was low. I added brake fluid and flushed the lines a bit, I got some lever feel and braking back, but the lever still goes all the way to the throttle-grip without providing full braking pressure.
            XJ650 brake master cylinder has an EZ-out stuck in the broken mirror-mount stud. Maybe I can rebuild XS11 master cylinder and use, but I think it was a bit rusted inside. Maybe I can take apart, let soak in 'wood bleach' to clean rust, then use a rebuild kit to get XS11 master cyl working again.

Comment

fix stuff

Hey Tajman, there is a thread for a quick fork oil change, called Festus oil change, somewhere, maybe google it. Just use a big syringe, loosen the screw at the bottom of the forks, fill the syringe with fork oil and inject it in the hole, quickly put screw in and youre done. For the caliper, best bet is to push out the caliper piston, clean thoroughly inside, wetsand the piston, reinstall the piston, fluid refill and keep bleeding the system. Do both front calipers. Chance are the master is ok just needs a thorough bleeding and flush. Good luck, MIke
              mike
              1982 xj1100 maxim
              1981 venture bagger
              1959 wife

Comment

oil change thread

http://www.elbarfo.com/index.php/xs1...ork-oil-change

Try this for the fast oil change procedure, it works, I have used it at least a dozen times. A little messy but much quicker. Mike in S.D
                mike
                1982 xj1100 maxim
                1981 venture bagger
                1959 wife

Comment

i'm riding an 83 750 midnight maxim, and my father-in-law has an 82 650. strong, reliable bikes. here is a link to a group like this one. good luck!
                  http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html
                  1981 xs1100 midnight special
                  1983 750 midnight maxim
                  resurrected:
                  1977 goldwing
                  1980 cb750
                  North central Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by TajMan View Post
                    The key I have only fits the ignition switch but not the gas cap or the chain lock. I was going to take the tank into a locksmith, and see if he could pick it open then make a new key that fits that lock cylinder.
                    You may not need to do that. That looks like the special tanks, and unless it's significantly different you can reach under there with a flat tip screwdriver with the blade bent up a little at the end, and press down on the cap while pressing back on the latch with the screwdriver and it should open right up. I did that with my XS400 special for almost 2 years before I got a replacement tank with key (some thief had trashed the lock after stealing it so getting a key was out of the question). The interesting thing was that it is easier to get parts now than it was 13 years ago (I guess something to do with the internet).
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      You may not need to do that. That looks like the special tanks, and unless it's significantly different you can reach under there with a flat tip screwdriver with the blade bent up a little at the end, and press down on the cap while pressing back on the latch with the screwdriver and it should open right up. I did that with my XS400 special for almost 2 years before I got a replacement tank with key (some thief had trashed the lock after stealing it so getting a key was out of the question). The interesting thing was that it is easier to get parts now than it was 13 years ago (I guess something to do with the internet).
                      Here is a pic of my XS11 special cap thats off the tank, and the XJ650 cap/tank thats still together.

The method you describe looks like it would work on my special cap, but not on the 650 Maxim, lock cylinder seems to be located directly above the tank fill hole. I think I still need to have the locksmith try and pick it.

Comment

Yeah, looks like your right. If you can still read the number on the lock, the locksmith might be able to make you a key from the number without having to pick the lock. This could save you some money as IIRC it cost less to have them do that than pick the lock and then rekey it OR use the number to make a key for it anyways.

I know I got an ignition key made for one a few years ago that way (I did have to show them the reg paperwork for the bike though).
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

About 5 months ago I sold an XJ650 to the kid down the street. I was hoping that quickly throwing in a rebuild kit for the front master cylinder would solve the mushy brake lever issue. Nope.

I told the kid that the first thing he needed to do was to buy a new brake lines for the front system. He did, and no more mushy-ness.

Those brake hoses are 30 years old. When you squeeze the brake lever, if you can see the line expand or flex... it's time to replace them. (That's where your mushy feeling comes from)
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Nice

I need one of these to add to my collection of XS's......81 1100 and a 81 400.
                            Last edited by brcree; 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM.
                            At this time:
                            1985 Goldwing Innr.
                            1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                            2007 vtx 1300
                            81 sx 1100 s h
                            81 sx 400 special

Comment

hi taj

i think mikes xs can supply you with a new gas cap and keys ! you might want to check them out ,,good luck with your bike ,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                              The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                              moemcnally@hotmail.com
                              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
                              X