Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Rev Problem

Hey All!

I've a 82 XS400 that I've ratted out during the winter/spring months. Rebuilt and rejetting the carbs and had it running real well. Now the rpms 'hang' around 3k. Sometimes it slowly drops down to normal idle. Sometimes it doesn't. And other times it drops down to normal idle but then continues to drop until the bike stalls.

I'm sure this is a classic symptom of . . . . something?

Any insights?

Thanks!
    Tony A. Bartolucci
    Present Ride: 1982 XS400LJ Custom
    Former Rides: 1981 XS1100LH
    1975 Kawasaki 100 2 Stroke Enduro
    1975 Honda 750F

Current Cool Cage: 1966 Chevy Impala 396

On the 1100, this is often a sign of out-of-sync carbs and/or vacuum leak.

JAT...
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks, Ken. Good to hear from you! I remember you from way back when I had my XS11. I will check for leaks and check the sync again.
      Tony A. Bartolucci
      1975 Honda 750F

Comment

Yup, I thought your last name sounded familiar.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Yeah, sold the Midnight Special before we moved to NY from AZ to a guy who lived in CA. He bought it sight unseen (it was in original condition with only 10k miles or so). I kept my m/c endorsement but we didn't have the funds for a new ride. Then a friend gave me the 82 XS400 Heritage Special last Christmas. I've done some work to it (lowered it, loud pipes, etc.) and have been surprised at how much fun it is. I miss the raw power of the 11, but this little bike does okay and gets 54 mpg in the process!

I recognize a few names on the forum from back then (I sold my XS in 01). Lots of names I don't see. There was a guy named Dick who lived in Batavia, NY who I used to talk with. Anyone know what ever became of him? That was when we were living in Phoenix. Now we're only 30 minutes from Batavia.
          Tony A. Bartolucci
          1975 Honda 750F

Comment

Working...
          X