XS850 Battery Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS850 Battery Delete

Hey all! Just aquired an '81 XS850 to ride instead of my '11. Im going to rebuild it, make it look somehwhat like my '11, Cafe seat, clip ons, rear sets...etc.

One question.

I want to eliminate the battery, to get rid of the weight and so I can use that extra space to mount a monoshock I have from a GSXR

How would I go about doing that and is it possible? It has a kick start.

I may be worng, but I don't think that's possible... The TCI needs proper voltage from the battery, not just the juice from the alternator. That is, OFC, assuming the 850's are anything like the 1100's.

On the 1100, the engine won't even run unless the battery is good, which is why the kick-start was relegated useless by '80.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Well this 850 looks like a mirror image of the 11, just one cylinder is MIA.

If I can get rid of the battery I guess I'll move to move it somewhere else....

Comment

Why not use smaller battery? There are several made for that kind of appliation, so long as you are not going to run and electric start. I think you could do it that way...
        Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hi Danteinien,
          coincidentally, my son just did that to his XS750.
          Well, it won't run without a battery but his battery lives in his sidecar. If you are happy to go kickstart only, you can tuck a tiny battery someplace it won't show, eh?
          He has dumped the airbox for pod filters, removed the battery box and associated frame lugs and mounted all the electrical kit on a shallow tray welded between the seat rails.
          Now you can see right through the big triangular space in the frame.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'll just have to go the tiny battery route I guess. Thanks!

I had no idea that the battery was required for this bike to even run. The kickstart will work for me./

I'm going to be be using this seat, maybe I can find one that will fit inside the back part.

Comment

What do you think of this little guy?

http://www.batterymart.com/p-YTX4L-B...e-Battery.html

Comment

Originally posted by danteinien View Post
                What do you think of this little guy?
                http://www.batterymart.com/p-YTX4L-B...e-Battery.html
                Hi Dan,
                it sure looks small enough to fit in your plastic bumstop and as you are going kickstart only, a small battery will work OK.
                There's gossip that some AGM batteries are delicate and can give problems in service.
                I have no personal AGM experience but I do find it interesting that the seller recommends buying a $48 smart trickle-charger for use with a $25 battery.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I guess I'll turn this into a build thread in case any one is interested in watching...

Here is the bike now, stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                  X