80's V65 Magna vs. XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's V65 Magna vs. XS1100

I'm trying to find out who has the bragging rites between my father and I over who has the badder-assed 80's bike. He recently got a Honda V65 Magna and I'm getting a Yamaha XS1100. Which bike is the better beast? The Magna was pretty smooth at 110 mph and still had a 6th gear I hadn't touched, but I don't technically own the Maxim and am not comfortable putting it through the same paces until I do.

It's easy enough the check the specs here for the Maxim and here for the Magna but I'm more interested in rider experiences.

Pricing, mileage, styling, and year not considered (the Magna is a year newer, has 10k fewer miles, but cost almost 3x as much as I did)

all I can say...

Never having owned a V65 but ridden one is I think the XS11 is equal in power and holds the advantage in a couple of respects:

The XS11 was built to last - Yamaha used parts designs that would not wear out in the design of the XS11 - the brushless alternator for instance.

The V65 has a tiny tank compared to an XS11 Standard - my buddy's could barely go 95 miles between fillups.

The XS11 is aircooled and will never leak coolant and leave you stranded. Simpler design is easier to work on.

So that's my .02

Which one is badder a$$? Its a matter of personal preference I think but I will take quality and reliability over a couple of mph any day.

John in San Antonio
    Last edited by jwhughes3; 07-05-2010, 02:42 PM. Reason: forgot an important word!
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I can't speak for the Magna, but I did own a V65 Sabre. The Sabre had more that can go wrong vs. the simplicity of the xs design but the V65 Sabre was a hp monster (Advertised 120hp to the rear wheel). I personally had mine to 140+ and back out of it as I saw my life passing before my eyes. It had a top end of 168 which far exceeds the xs1100. It felt very smooth at 140 probably due to the weight. The v4 design Honda used for the V45 and V65 had oil delivery problems to the lower cam shafts in the earlier models, which as I understand was addressed in the later models v4's. I loved my Sabre. I know the Magna had a different riding stance so I don't know what Charactoristics it would share with the Sabre, but they were very good Machines. I Love my xs11, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't welcome another V65 in the mancave. One thing that both the V65 and our beloved XS11's share is the clunky transmissions. I always felt like my V65 was going shed the transmission, but it always held in there. I rode it like I stoled it and it never gave me one minutes trouble (until i crashed it).
      Last edited by Rev.Rick; 07-05-2010, 03:20 PM.
      Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

Originally posted by Rev.Rick View Post
        I can't speak for the Magna, but I did own a V65 Sabre. The Sabre had more that can go wrong vs. the simplicity of the xs design but the V65 Sabre was a hp monster (Advertised 120hp to the rear wheel). I personally had mine to 140+ and back out of it as I saw my life passing before my eyes. It had a top end of 168 which far exceeds the xs1100. It felt very smooth at 140 probably due to the weight. The v4 design Honda used for the V45 and V65 had oil delivery problems to the lower cam shafts in the earlier models, which as I understand was addressed in the later models v4's. I loved my Sabre. I know the Magna had a different riding stance so I don't know what Charactoristics it would share with the Sabre, but they were very good Machines. I Love my xs11, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't welcome another V65 in the mancave. One thing that both the V65 and our beloved XS11's share is the clunky transmissions. I always felt like my V65 was going shed the transmission, but it always held in there. I rode it like I stoled it and it never gave me one minutes trouble (until i crashed it).
        There's actually a V65 Sabre for sale up here that I was looking at. I was also looking at V45 Sabres a few years ago when I got my now-too-small 750 Virago. I like the Sabres but I always stayed away due to the oil delivery problem.

Sabre V65 for sale up here has a broken instrument cluster, but I didn't let that stop me from taking it out for a ride. Fantastic machine, but when you get that "I'm going to go too fast and kill myself with this bike" feeling you've got to listen. There's only 7k on it and its otherwise clean, though.

Comment

Magna vs XS11

Hi,

Ive had both bikes, the v65 impressed me greatly. With the six speed, it was barely more than idling at 55. Keep n mind that the v65 ran hi ten second quarter mile ets ,, the XS 11 ran hi elevens when it was new. I think your pop is gonna show you the way home in a race. The v65 is four valves per cylinder, and has ten point five compression, much better at high power producing.

I loved it, its more advanced than the yam11, what with water cooling, mucho power and that wonderful transmission and the ride was plush. I had my v65 to a hundred thirty just one time, it was stable but I dont know about someones high speed statement of 163 mph, that is not likely me thinks. I had the magna for about eight years, and sold it for 25 percent more than I paid for it. I would never have been selling it, but my neighbor practically insisted that I sell it to him. I saw the same bike being ridden just a couple of years ago, its still sounding great. I went for a ten year motorcycle hiatus after the v65 due to health problems. I will say that the complications of the engine and working on it, put me off a bit, I never really did anything with except change the oil and tires. Of course, it didnt demand service either, nor did my previous xs eleven.
          Last edited by yamtom; 07-06-2010, 07:49 PM.
          Bikes Now.
          80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
          79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
          83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
          83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
          08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

I have owned both bikes= sorry folks, but the V65 will kill the XS11. The Magna kinda handled like crap to me and was way over complicated, gettin the carbs off and on that thing really sucked. I have owned 10 XS11s since I sold the Magna.

Comment

The Magna may be a bit superior in HP and acceleration but its not nearly as bulletproof and reliable as the venerable XS/XJ1100s. By the time they built the V65s the industry had discovered planned obsolescence...something that was not employed with the XS/XJs...Why that was a major reason Yamaha ceased production of these bikes..They built them too well and they didnt break and as such they prolly lost money on them. Indeed they are far from obsolete..even today...and you can take that to the bank.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
              X