Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1976 Suzuki GT750 Kettle/2 Stroke... Any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Suzuki GT750 Kettle/2 Stroke... Any thoughts?

Well, I found this old GT750 for sale and it seems reasonable, I just dont know much about these old 2 strokes. About all I know is the Kawasaki H1's and H2's were considered "King" in that area (I think). Is this a good buy at this price? Were the H2's a competator? Its liquid cooled unlike Kawasaki's IDK if it makes it better or not...
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

I

had a 750 ('74 I believe) water buffalo. Was a pretty good crusier.
    The suzuki was on the top even when the XS came around it had a couple more HP on it's 1100.
    They did not hold up as well in the long run. They were a smooth shifting bike and heavier than a Kaw.
    Worse sunburn I ever got was on tha water buffalo on a trip to Houston. 19, stupid, and hot--took my shirt off.

OBTW--stops like a friggin freight train as it has the old drums on the rear.
    Last edited by jmnjrpa; 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM.
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Interesting, Ive always been interested in the idea of owning a vintage 2 stroke but I always though I would be bored if it was under 500cc's. I know its hard to find any remaining 750's in one peice let alone one that runs and looks good. Thanks for that story John...

Why didnt they hold up so well, just the nature of the 2 strokes?
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Yeah

Tends to get hotter and the rods take twice the beating. Most of them ran like a scalded dog. I had a '72 380 Suzuki that would break 115 and come up in at least 2 gears. On Suzuki's my '79 850 would hold my buddies XS1100 to 90 MPH and I would even be a length ahead untill 60 MPH. It had a drive shaft and my buddy said both tires would leave the pavement when I hard shifted to 2nd. They were very good mannered bikes.
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

I had a bunch of them in the early 80's. They were not a hot rod like the H1 but rather more of a tourer. They had a crankshaft weakness because Suzuki was obsessed with a narrow engine and only used 4 main bearings when the normal for an engine like that would have been six. The GT550 was 2x as reliable because it did have a 6 main bearing bottom end.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Geezer is right. They really were built more around the touring style. Don't fool yourself tho if you did your own wrenchin they would move with the best. Just like with Yamaha you did not want to let the shop tune it for you.
            Original except:

Big John

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, as tempting as it is I think I'd rather hold out for more of a hot rod like a Kawasaki H1 or H2... Besides, I just dont have the room for another bike right now. A garage is necessary!
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

Comment

If you were to get one, the 76 and very rare 77 models are the ones to have. Even with their problems, I'd like to have another one. Assuming I could get it past my wife...

Tony

Comment

There are GT750's out there in the 150,000 mile range. If they were taken care of they go forever.

One of the weaknesses was that they have points. There used to be electonic module upgrades, but they are dieing from old age now. You can still make one from a GM HEI module.

The GT was made to go up against the Gold Wing.

If you were looking to buy one, ask the PO if he/she has replaced the crank seals. This is the biggest failure point IF the bike has sat for a long time. The old seals dry out and stick to the crank. It requires splitting the Cranshaft to replace.

If they have been done, there is nothing to worry about. The new seals won't stick.

Withe modern injection oils, you can adjust the pump to where you won't get any smoke too.

I just sold mine for $500.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Does his price seem in line? As much as I would like to own this piece of history I think I would rather own a 88 FZR 1000 or a FJ 1200...
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

Comment

The H2 here in the UK were known as the widow maker , scary bikes , " Smokey & they Bandit " lol , a mate of mine here has the "Kettle" still runs fine , ill try n find out what hes done to it

Comment

If it is fully operational, and no seal issues, his price is not bad.
                        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Thanks guys, I will ask the owner what all he has done with it.
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                            The GT was made to go up against the Gold Wing.
                            The GT750 came out in 1970 and the GL1000 came out in 1975. I think it's the other way around... Also Suzuki announced but never delivered the GT1000...

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                              Well, I found this old GT750 for sale and it seems reasonable, I just dont know much about these old 2 strokes. About all I know is the Kawasaki H1's and H2's were considered "King" in that area (I think). Is this a good buy at this price? Were the H2's a competator? Its liquid cooled unlike Kawasaki's IDK if it makes it better or not...
                              Hi Marshy,
                              great bikes, I had a '72 that had double sided front drum brakes. OK, the later disk brakes worked better but lacked the cuteness factor.
                              A totally different ride to those uncontrollable Kawis, can you say "smooth"?
                              Another in the long list of bikes I could kick myself for selling.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X