Question Regarding Exhaust Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding Exhaust Seals

I've noticed that my exhaust is leading at the head. Can feel it with your hand. All that's there are two split shims. I saw on a website what looks like round copper seals. Do these replace the shims that I have? Also, does running the bike with a leak like that cause problems (running lean, for instance). I don't want to burn a valve either.

Thanks!
    Tony A. Bartolucci
    Present Ride: 1982 XS400LJ Custom
    Former Rides: 1981 XS1100LH
    1975 Kawasaki 100 2 Stroke Enduro
    1975 Honda 750F

Current Cool Cage: 1966 Chevy Impala 396

The "split shims" are collars that bear against the flange on the exhaust pipe at the head to hold it in.

You probably just have a leaking exhaust gasket.

Sometimes with carbon build up it's hard to even see the exhaust gasket, but it needs to be pried out of the exhaust port and replaced most likely.

Probably won't warp or crack a valve unless the leak is pretty bad, but the ticking from the leak would drive me crazy, and it certainly won't get better.
    Last edited by Guy_b_g; 05-15-2010, 12:17 PM.
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Guy,

Likely that they (gaskets) are stuck inside the head opening. I will order some new ones. Place nearby has them for .83 each, but they are out of stock. Checked another online parts source and they want 4.50 each! I can wait.

I don't hear the 'ticking' as my pipes are rather loud.

I ran my first full tank through her today and got over 54 mpg. Oh, it's an XS400 so that helps (if I remember right I got somewhere around 38 mpg on my old XS11). I'll say this, however, for a small bike rated at under 30 hp it sure does pull -- especially in 1st gear!
      Tony A. Bartolucci
      Present Ride: 1982 XS400LJ Custom
      Former Rides: 1981 XS1100LH
      1975 Kawasaki 100 2 Stroke Enduro
      1975 Honda 750F

Current Cool Cage: 1966 Chevy Impala 396

Comment

They are nice little bikes, I used to have a '78. Regularly embarrassed a friend of mine who rode a Z1 in the twisties with it.
        Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Working...
        X