Reverse fianal drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse fianal drive

Anybody do or thought about this? I have an 850 and an 1100 '81 MNS. I believe there may be a way to swap out the final on the 850 to an 1100 final drive. Since I have an extra drive of both and am in the middle of doing the conversion it occurred to me that it would give the 850 a lot more low end torque. If you burn em off the line bad most never check out your top end.
    Last edited by jmnjrpa; 05-14-2010, 11:12 AM. Reason: typo
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

hey John,
    we got a couple of our FDs from some of the triples guys that wanted to do this... Traded them their 750/ 850 FDs for the 1100s' FDs...
    You might be able to check on their site to get a better idea of what they thought about the switch... not sure how many of them actually made the switch though...

JAT
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Hmmmm

Thanks Kat!
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

Damn.. was hoping ol' John figured out a way to put reverse on the bikes..

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Did

But you have a problem with roadrash on the a$$ when you brake hard! NOT cool!
          Original except:

Big John

Comment

Naw...

So far, the a$$ remains unscathed. Which is surprising considering the guys I ride with and share hotels with.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
              Thanks Kat!
              You're welcome

I'm interested in how this turns out for you...
              Keep us posted, please
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Did you swap it yet?
                http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

No

It will be a ways down the road as the bike needs lots of TLC to even run. According to my calculations the increase in torque /decrease in top end will be about 14%. That will limit the top to just under 110 MPH but it would get there a lot quicker.

The tank and seat are in good condition, just not mounted.
                  Original except:

Big John

Comment

John. Am I understanding this right? The 750/850 final drive is a higher ratio than our 1100's, thus given a little less on take off, more on top end and improved mileage? I have seen many of the members on here have opted for the 750/850 final drive. I for some reason though that because of the difference in hp between the triples and our 1100's that the ratio on the 750/850's would be lower.
                    Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

Gearbox

I believe the transmission would have to be considerably different as in more gears. The 3.3 ratio in the 1100 pushes torque over top end. When you reach top end on an 1100 your limits are really shortened by RPM (redlining) of the engine. Whereas the 2.9 ratio on the750/850 have less HP to begin with the gearing was so the bike would not be in last place but it does sacrifice torque. Hope this helps. Actually the drive line revolves 3.3 times for every rotation of the rear wheel on the 1100 but only 2.9 times on the 750/850. Higher (3.3) = more torque/less top end.
                      Last edited by jmnjrpa; 05-21-2010, 08:23 AM.
                      Original except:

Big John

Comment

Lotsa reductions between the engine and the street.

Originally posted by Rev.Rick View Post
                        John. Am I understanding this right? The 750/850 final drive is a higher ratio than our 1100's, thus given a little less on take off, more on top end and improved mileage? I have seen many of the members on here have opted for the 750/850 final drive. I for some reason though that because of the difference in hp between the triples and our 1100's that the ratio on the 750/850's would be lower.
                        Hi Rick,
                        recent posts say that the XS750/850 middle gear ratio is different too. Perhaps the primary reduction and transmission ratios as well?
                        What is needed is to compare the combined ratio between engine rpm and rear wheel rpm on both machines.
                        Maybe the XS750/850 engine does rev higher despite it's lower final drive ratio?
                        Gawd! All them gears! No wonder we lose all that power to transmission losses.
                        That's one reason the classic Britbikes can keep up as well as they do despite having far lower HP numbers.
                        An XS11 uses a Hyvo chain, 3 gear pairs and a driveshaft to put power on the street.
                        A Britbike uses two roller chains and you can't count the tranny because it's high gear is a friction-free lockup.
                        Last edited by fredintoon; 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks, John and Fred. I had a 1980 xs850 and it was pretty quik just for navigating around in town. I ran it WOT once and the best top end I could get was right about 110. I've done the same with my xs1100 and a little over 120 is all I could get. Whatever the gear combination is between the triples as compared to 1100's they seem to work equally well in both applications. I would not mind giving up a little on bottom end (I don't do burnouts. Tires cost too much) to gain something on MPG. My xs850 wasn't anywhere near as quik from 0-100 as my 1100, but it got way better mileage.
                          Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

Working...
                          X