Gas mileage on new(er) bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas mileage on new(er) bikes

the XS11 is the first bike I've owned, and I guess I'm pretty impressed by the fuel economy. Especially when economy was probably not a primary concern when designing these bikes.

I was just wondering what some of the newer bikes are getting for mileage - since fuel economy is becoming more an more important every year i assume they put a little more thought into that area nowadays.

Interesting you should ask, since I just figured my mileage for the 956 miles Gary sixtysix and I have put on since he got here. My 99 Bandit 1200 with performance mods averaged 44.32mpg, and we weren't being bashful with the throttle by any stretch of the imagination.

BMW K1200LT, an 850 lb bike, gets in the low 50's. (I had one)

I'll stick to these first hand reports, let others chime in.

Oh - my XJ without fairing got 35-40 depending, now with a fairing I lost a couple mpg, 33-38 usually, with an occasional spike to 40 if I keep it at 55mph. I try to avoid that whenever possible
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Hello,
      My 2001 Bandit 1200S with 125 Mains and chain drive average 45-48 hwy and twisties 40-44 depending on pace...My old 1979 xs with 2 over stock mains averaged 38 42 FWIW.

Shack
      Shack
      79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
      2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
      Oct 02
      2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
      3176 miles

Comment

My Bandit got around 50 on the Highway at steady throttle, but only 35-40 in serious twisties. The Triumph gets 38-43 depending on the application of the happy stick....
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

OK guys... you're gonna have to convert these yourselves.

My XS with previous exhaust did bout 6.5 l/100km, PO reported 8 l/100km.
          85 Kawasaki GPz 600R (ZX600R) bout 5 l/100km
          84 moto guzzi V35 bout 3,5 l/100km
          Friends ZZR 1100 bout 5.5 l/100km
          Friends new ZRX 1200 bout same as ZZR.

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

On a 700 mile ride in the mountains (Deals Gap, Cherhola Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway ) this past weekend I averaged 40.5 mpg on my 79 Special.
            Robert
            79 SF

Comment

It is interesting that most of you report better mileage on the highway, my experience is just the opposite.

My 79 1100 SF with windjammer fairing gets about 35 mpg on the interestate (75 miles per hour) and around 43 on the twisties. And I'm riding it for all it has on the curves - really nailing it.

I figured the wind load must be a very big factor at high speeds.
              Ed - "Where there is a Road... There is a Ride" -MoBro 79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by mobro
                It is interesting that most of you report better mileage on the highway, my experience is just the opposite.
                I think that they mean better highway mpg verses city stop & go driving. Any continuous riding is going to yield better mpg and mountain roads or twisties should be best since as you noted you encounter more wind resistance at greater highway speeds.
                Robert
                79 SF

Comment

conversion

Strom, thats 43.5 miles per gallon not bad !
                  Doug Mitchell
                  82 XJ1100 sold
                  2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                  2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                  1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                  47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Re: conversion

Originally posted by mitch
                    Strom, thats 43.5 miles per gallon not bad !
                    Yep... pretty impressed myself...
                    Not the last ride tho... burnt bout 1/5th of the tank of gas and 30-40cc of oil...
                    Im in the process of replacing valve oil seals.
                    Having trouble taking out the valve guides to.
                    I'll report back with properly adjusted carbs and stuff... replaced exhausts since then.

LP
                    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
                    X