Is it worth it to revive these bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it to revive these bikes?

At a mororcycle wrecking yard in my area there ar two YAMAHA 650 TURBOS an 81 and a 82 , between the two them there are probably enough parts left on them to make one running bike , they both still have their turbos mounted on them just forward of the rear wheels under the bikes. I did a little research on this model and it would appear that YAMAHA built them in response to a HONDA turbo that came out a year or two before. The unique thing about them is that they had a pressurized fuel delivery system through four inline carbs and that the bike is air cooled . What do you guys think?

I think it would be cool, always wanted a turbo bike, but not sure if you would ever be able to sell it for what you put into it. Whats the blue book value? Are you looking to turn a profit or just have a cool older bike?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Not worth it........better get my shipping address and send them to me....
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I don't think anyone does this sort of thing for resale value. If you can handle the work and want to do it, keeping in mind the countless minor (or major) problems you'll encounter, and have the scratch to get started, go for it! It would be unique and a conversation starter.
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I restored one a couple years ago. Ran Great when finished, handled like crap stock. Would take some suspension mods to make it work for me. Was glad to get rid of it.
          Richard

Comment

If you tackle this project you will put a lot more into the bikes than they are worth retail. However, they are different and you would likely get a lot of questions asked at stops. Personally I would like to see them salvaged and put back on the road, or at least one.

Link to 1983 XJ 650 Turbo:
            http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yam...turbo_1983.php

Yamaha Turbo 650 owner's page:
            http://home.netcom.com/~rvtucker/Seca.html#problems

Read the "common problems" area. Poor handling is addressed.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by mmarquis View Post
              At a mororcycle wrecking yard in my area there ar two YAMAHA 650 TURBOS an 81 and a 82 , between the two them there are probably enough parts left on them to make one running bike , they both still have their turbos mounted on them just forward of the rear wheels under the bikes. I did a little research on this model and it would appear that YAMAHA built them in response to a HONDA turbo that came out a year or two before. The unique thing about them is that they had a pressurized fuel delivery system through four inline carbs and that the bike is air cooled . What do you guys think?
              They would have to be at least 82's, since they were only sold in 82 and 83. I had one for a couple of years. Oil burners, bad handlers, a multitude of small problems to keep you wrenching. You think keeping carbs synched and clean on a normally aspirated bike is a pain, try pressurized carbs with rising rate regulators, a fuel pump and a check valve, any one of which can cause problems. Parts availability can be a problem (no fuel pumps available for instance). Almost non-existent braking, and probably heavier than an XS. Wind buffeting from the fairing is objectionable, the WARNING light is almost always lit for some reason, usually a battery that doesn't have the electrolyte probe. Off boost performance is abysmal. Unless you are bucking for a speeding ticket, they are about as powerful as a middleweight twin with just under 600lbs of lard to carry around.

Having said that, the turbo boost is something everyone should experience at least once in their riding life, and roll-on at highway speeds was impressive. Really though, the fun only lasted for about a 3000rpm band, otherwise, it was an unremarkable and unattractive bike.

All the big four had turbo bikes at one point. The Honda was the most sophisticated, the Kawasaki the fastest, the Suzuki the rarest and most valuable today, and the Yamaha the cheapest and simplest of the bunch.

Comment

Put both turbos on your XS1100. THAT would be cool
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I had an 82 CX 500 turbo was a good bike for me. I paid 300 and sold it in pieces for 1400. At least thats what the insurance company gave me. Kbb was that fourteen years later. Last I checked kbb was up to 2500. The only thing I didn't like is riding it in the rain, Turbo kicked in any time it wanted or maybe thats how I rode. Also like what was mentioned above they are heavy. 580 dry weight.
                  68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
                  76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
                  79 special (skull bike)
                  79 special (parts bike w/title)
                  79 special
                  80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
                  81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
                  81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
                  80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
                  81 650 maxim
                  81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
                  88 Zx 600r (Sold)
                  01 Gz 250

Comment

U should pull the turbos and mail them to me so I can rebuild them. They are probably shot.
                    BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                    80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
                      Put both turbos on your XS1100. THAT would be cool
                      Actually, the 900 Seca motor slips into a 650 quite easily. The 900 crank is a drop in, and the block and heads will bolt up to the 650 bottom end. Might take a minor bit of fiddling to fit the bodywork, but upwards of 140hp at the wheel has been touted.

Comment

But seriously, I'll pay you to pull both turbos and mail them to me so I can rebuild them and play...
                        BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                        80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Originally posted by mmarquis View Post
                          At a motorcycle wrecking yard in my area there are two YAMAHA 650 TURBOS an 81 and a 82 , between the two them there are probably enough parts left on them to make one running bike - - - What do you guys think?
                          Hi Mark,
                          depends what you mean by "worth it".
                          Is it worth it to restore a rare motorcycle from a pair of wrecks to one bike in running, perhaps even pristine condition?
                          Of course it is.
                          Will you make money at it or even break even?
                          Not one chance in a hundred.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If nothing else, salvage the turbos! I would be interested in having one, I would put it on a 78E.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                              If nothing else, salvage the turbos! I would be interested in having one, I would put it on a 78E.
                              Can you really do this? I know where a 83 is for sale. I have debated buying it to restore but think it may be too much for me. My SG is in pretty good shape so it would just be a matter of adding the turbo, I am assuming. So what would be the benifit of adding it to my SG? More power, faster acceleration? Is there a set of plans someone has written down?

Tex
                              1981 XS1100H

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X