Thoughts on Virago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Virago?

I have been shopping for as XS1100 Standard and came across this Virago 700...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1666298601.html

Good condition, probably pick it up for $500-$600. I still want an XS, but I am needing a daily commuter pretty quick. Any good or bad notes on the 1985 Virago 700 from the Yamaha crowd? Thanks...
    '82 XJ1100

Jason

Do a google search, they have a pretty good forum, and a guy maintaining a tech tips site, Dr.Piston or something like that.

Anyways my dad has one, picked it up for 200 bucks. Good bike, carbs will likely need cleaned and are even more of a pain to remove and install then the xs carbs. Make sure you do them right the first time!

They also suffer from a "weak" starter setup, not exactly sure on the details but the symptoms are "grinding" when the starter is pushed and comes from poorly designed gears. There are several documented fixes...

Other then the starter problem they seem to be good bikes....
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

They're good bikes, just not as powerful... so if ya just want it to ride around locally, they're great. Long trips... not so great, due to their lack of highway power... they'll do it, just not as well as an 11.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by gringojason View Post
        I have been shopping for as XS1100 Standard and came across this Virago 700...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1666298601.html

Good condition, probably pick it up for $500-$600. I still want an XS, but I am needing a daily commuter pretty quick. Any good or bad notes on the 1985 Virago 700 from the Yamaha crowd? Thanks...
        Hi Jason,
        as you plan on being an XS11 owner ASAP I'd say, think twice about the Virago.
        It may well be an excellent machine but it's just less of the same and once you get an XS11 it'll simply be an embarrassment.
        How about a ~250cc dual purpose bike? Commute on it while you look for an XS11 and then keep it for trail riding afterwards.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

both of the virago 750's I had were gutless , nice bikes , great looking , but gutless .

Comment

The 82 920cc was my first "big" bike. Outside of the digital dash pannel that gave me (and my mechanic) fits, I lived it. Torque like mad. Lots of fun the mountains. Even two up it rode nice.

However that was the 920. I wouldn't even want to compare the two. If I was riding a 700? Wouldn't have been so happy.

That 700 was a response to the "Harley law" back then. Big import duties on the larger cc bikes brought into the states.

WAIT FOR YOUR XS.
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Had an 85 XV700 a few years ago. Picked it up for $650, didn't run.

First thing was the carbs. You really need to take your time removing and replacing them. As mentioned they are a PITA to R&R. Best to set float levels on the bench as they use the clear tube method as you dont want to pull them again to reset floats... Syncing them was not too bad, just hard to reach the sync screw between the rear of the carbs.

The starter clutch on it never worked very well. DR. Piston has a good fix for this by cutting back the leading edge of the starter gear and adding a shim behind it to bring it closer to the flywheel.

Once it was running it ran great and had alot of power. If I remember correctly it was made during the the tariff days and put out more HP than the XV750.

Sold it 6months later.
              Richard

Comment

virago 700

I bought one from a local dealer it was I believe an '85, I paid 2400.00 for it in 2005. The salesman said it was an 1100, I was confused since the title had 700 in the model number. Well needless to say it was a 700, anyway it was in very good condition, at least it looked that way.

I rode it a couple of days and it started to have problems climbing the ridge on the way home, not really that steep of a climb either, well I took it back and they looked at it in the shop, next thing I new the head of the sales department said they wanted to give my money back.

Turns out it had a bad coil pack, and evidently was an expensive fix, along with the false info that is was an 1100, they probably got nervous and undid the deal. I really doubt it would have done well with two up even with a good coil (or whatever). So needless to say I'm glad they undid the deal and I got my money back, I'm sure it would not have been a good bike or deal.

Shortly after that I found my XJ1100 in the local ad paper for 1500.00 and got it for 1300.00 since it had a dent in the tank and the healight wasnt working, needless to say that was a great deal, and I still riding her and having a blast!
                '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

If it's got 2 wheels and starts and runs fine after warming up, ride it. This is kinda the same as when the harley guys look at us, why would we look at you any different? Enjoy the wind in you face even if you have to run down a hill. , might save on fuel and I don't think it's law to wear a helmet. JK, I think they look good and you can always own 2 bikes, or 3 or 4 or.......
                  Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
                  1978 XS 1100E
                  Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
                  K & N Air filter
                  Home built forward controls
                  Vulcan Mustang seat
                  A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

I say get it and make it look like this one. I always thought viragos looked kinda cool with that "big" motor just hanging out in front but man does it make a sweet looking cafe bike. Just make yours a bit taller so you can actually corner at speed.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Goddamn I have always loved that bike...

I swear someday I will buy me a Virago, just to build one like that.
                      '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Working...
                      X