CL350 electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CL350 electrical

Well, it seems to be getting nice out, and we should have some nice weather here this weekend – supposed to be about 9 C (48 F for the rest of you). So I decided it was time to get the CL350 safetied, insured and plated for the road. I was surprised to learn my local Canadian Tire will safety bikes, so it just means a 2 block ride to get the job done. Booked my appointment and rushed home to go over everything before I ‘walked’ it over.

Naturally, this is where the problems start haha. I have had no issues starting the little guy other than from the cold, for the past few months. All kick start since the starter clutch is worn, but it would start. So I quickly run through the typical gremlins – check gas, air and spark. No spark on the right cylinder. O.K. no spark means a number of things but after a bit of fiddling/tinkering the entire plug cap and part of the plug wire comes off in my hand. Closer inspection reveals the plug wire is actually cut 2 inches from the cap. The previous owner tried to repair it by using electrical tape and loading on the di-electric grease. Not the method I would have chosen but I suppose I am just a little bit off anyway.

Ordering a set of Mikes XS coils and new plug wires so I can replace as needed – coils are 24 each and the wires are about 10 a set. Naturally go shopping there a bit – since I am already paying for shipping and all – and pick up some clubman bars, new grips and a new condenser pack. Looks like instead of the first ride of the season this weekend, I will be doing the first teardown of the season. Good times….
    1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
    1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

An update

I figure an update is in order. Got the replacement coils and bars as well as some end bar mirrors. Add this to an ailing bike, and voila - more problems, lol.

Turns out one of the exhaust bolt holes had been striped and repaired with a helicoil. This naturally started coming loose when I remounted the pipes. I was able to get it to sit properly, but I will have to revisit it. The bars have the wires right through them, so that was quite the adventure getting them replaced. Naturally I was able to screw up one of the switches in the process, but with a little tweaking and soldering I was able to repair instead of replacing it. Still need a new seat, but she is basically done. I have a line on a local upholsterer that specializes in bike seats here in Hamilton. I still need to determine if I should make my own cafe seat or buy one, but for now the stock will work. I don't care if the foam gets wet since I will be replacing it all with some foam that is actually comfortable.

Anyway, I know pics are in order...
    1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
    1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

Still have the other mirror coming in as well, but just got her safetied tonight. Insurance tomorrow, and it looks like 17 C by Thursday. Great time to have one on the road. Just have to figure out how to get the XJ up from Windsor, lol.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
      X