Bought another Project CB550 F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought another Project CB550 F

Well Clearly I have "issues" because I just can't seem to stop. They're finding me now.

A guy I work with just bought himself a roadglide and knew I restore old cycles. He offered me his 76 CB550 F. Mechanically it's in FANTASTIC shape. Visually .... um ... not my taste but that can be easily remedied. I'm thinking full on cafe racer with this one but I'm going to have to do something about this ugly extended front end.

So here's my question. Since I don't usually mess with the front end much other that maybe shorter springs or cartridge emulators, how can I tell if the triple tree has been modified to accommodate these longer forks? I'm concerned that I need to change the tree out as well when I find stock forks for it. It's a shame too because the ones on the bike are perfect. I'm going to end up with a set that's not so .....

Still, not bad for 200.00 buck eh .....

My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
    1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
    1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
    1981 Suzuki GS550 E
    1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

from the looks of it the guy just added extended forks with no alterations to the frame (or triple tree) look for any weld marks up around the neck of the frame that says its been cut and rewelded youll notice the bottom frame rails arent perpendicular to the ground and they slope up towards the front.Iif the frame or triple tree had been modified the rails would still be perpendicular as they should be A--stock B--if the frame had been modified to fit the existing extended forks. From the looks of the picture.Hey thats a great bike Ive owned three make sure you keep the taillight ground clean

Comment

No-cost fix.

Hi Res,
      alas, no deals like that round my area.
      I doubt that the 'trees will need to be changed, their height is determined by the length of the frame steering head, which appears to have not been altered.
      What a friend did on his CB450 which also came with 4" over fork tubes, was this zero-cost fix. He slid the tubes up through the trees until the fork height was to his liking.
      You could spend a few dollars and put clip-ons on the tops of the fork tubes rather than simply live with those chrome posts sticking up.
      Last edited by fredintoon; 12-31-2009, 12:41 PM.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Looks really nice

My step-dad just bought a CB160. I'm not sure on the year but I think it is a '65.

1980 XS1100SG
        1998 KLR 650

Comment

im actually looking to buy extende forks for my cb550

anybody have theres they like to sell? or know where i can buy some?
          im looking for 2" over stock....maybe 4"

Comment

Forks by Frank is one place to get any size you like. I think they are pretty pricey though.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by spiderdan1331 View Post
              anybody have theres they like to sell? or know where i can buy some?
              im looking for 2" over stock....maybe 4"
              I haven't had a chance to take mine off yet but I'll try to make the switch in the next couple weeks. I believe mine are 4 over but I haven't measured them. If you're interested shoot me PM
              My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
              1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
              1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
              1981 Suzuki GS550 E
              1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

Working...
              X