XS 750/850 engine rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS 750/850 engine rotation

Can anyone tell me if the XS750/850 engines rotate the same direction as the XS11? I was looking at the middle drives, and they seem almost identical. If the triple engines rotate opposite the 11s (like I think they do) then how do they get the same driveshaft rotation as the 11s? I still would like to trike one of my 11s, but do not want to run the differential up side down.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Originally posted by rover View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the XS750/850 engines rotate the same direction as the XS11? I was looking at the middle drives, and they seem almost identical. If the triple engines rotate opposite the 11s (like I think they do) then how do they get the same driveshaft rotation as the 11s? I still would like to trike one of my 11s, but do not want to run the differential up side down.
    Hi rover,
    the XS750/850 engine runs forwards because it's primary reduction is a gear pair. The XS11 engine runs backwards because it's primary reduction is two unmeshed gears joined by a Hyvo chain. The transmission input shaft turns backwards on both bikes.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

XS750/850 rotation

Thanks, Fred. I guess there is no other way to run an automotive differential except to run it up side down or fabricate another pair of gears at the rear of the middle drive. I will have to try and work on that angle. I wonder if straight cut gears will do the job. I do have a sidecar, I made the frame and wheel mount, and used a snomo sled for a body, but it is quite wide, and really pulls to the right on acceleration, and to the left while braking. The good is that my wife and small son can both ride in it, and I can ride it empty and still take right turns about as fast as is comfortable for a car. Thanks again for the answer.
      put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
      79 F (Blueballs)
      79 SF (Redbutt)
      81 LH (organ donor)
      79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
      76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
      rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
        Thanks, Fred. I guess there is no other way to run an automotive differential except to run it up side down or fabricate another pair of gears at the rear of the middle drive. I will have to try and work on that angle. I wonder if straight cut gears will do the job. I do have a sidecar, I made the frame and wheel mount, and used a snomo sled for a body, but it is quite wide, and really pulls to the right on acceleration, and to the left while braking. The good is that my wife and small son can both ride in it, and I can ride it empty and still take right turns about as fast as is comfortable for a car. Thanks again for the answer.
        Hi Rover,
        Lotsa folks have built XS11-based trikes, even some on this list and there's commercial outfits that build 'em too.
        It has to be an easy thing or they wouldn't bother?
        Perhaps you could start a new topic "How can I trike my XS11 without inverting the diff?"
        As to accelerating and braking affecting a rig's steering, like Bill Gates sez about perceived defects in the windows operating system "That's not a problem, that's a feature!"
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
        X