Semi XS11 related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi XS11 related

So you think we've got it bad pulling and re-installing XS11 carbs?
    After too much neglect, I am in the process of doing the carbs on my
    CB900. Been a while since I've done them. You want to talk about a pain!!! I'll do the 11's carbs any day instead of this.
    I can pull and re-install the big dog's in less time then it's taking me just to pull the Hondas.
    Aint old bikes great?! Yes they really are..
    John
    Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
    '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
    '78 CB750F ( The F)
    '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
    New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
    Then: '76 CB550K
    '78 CB750F
    '84 VF1100S
    And still Looking!

They are stuffed in there tight aren't they!
    The PO of my CB900F had already put pods on and had it jetted when I got it.
    Richard

Comment

Hi John,
      once you deepsix the airbox and put pods on, the XS11 carbs are a doddle.
      And while I've never de-carbed a Honda CB900 the Honda VF750 V4s carbs are a real fun thing to deal with. About the 3rd or 4th go-around you realize they gotta all come off together, manifold and all, but even then the job is kinda interesting.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yeah Fred, I feel your pain.
        Notice one of my past ones was a VF1100S.
        Been there done that. What a pain!
        I think the V65 Sabre was even worse than the smaller versions.
        John
        Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
        '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
        '78 CB750F ( The F)
        '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
        New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
        Then: '76 CB550K
        '78 CB750F
        '84 VF1100S
        And still Looking!

Comment

I was looking at a v65 a couple weeks ago that was imaculate. The first thing I thought of when I got up close was "Wow! I'm glad I don't have to get to those carbs".
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

If it was easy everyone would be willing to do it and we wouldn't get these multicarb bikes so cheap!

I found that a tire iron to push the airbox back worked on my 79 cb750 and the 82 750 hawk. Not knowing the 900's they are probably worse as I expect larger carbs living in the same size hole.
            I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

I use a tire iron too. Difference is, when I get finished "there ain't no fixen that bike".
              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
              Original except:
              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

FWIW...
                I hear you guys about pulling the 11's carbs... it is a PITA.

But... I've learned the trick to doing it fast, and it's not a big deal... even with the stock airbox!

1) remove the bolts on the airbox, loosen the 4 clamps.

2) move the airbox back as far as possible.

3) loosen the front 4 clamps to the head...

4) remove the throttle cable.

5) On the XJ, remove the choke cable.

6) Disconnect the fuel lines. (I've already deep-sixed the octy on mine... which really helps.
                7) Now here's the trick to easy removal: pull the carb bank back, and as you move them toward the RIGHT side of the bike, (looking at it from a seated position,) TWIST the carb bank front side up, working in a twisting motion while watching that the throttle lever clears the oil line on the back of the head, until it comes right out. No problems. But I've found that if you try to go out the left side... it's MUCH harder.
                Given, this is on an XJ, and not the XS... but I've heard enough people complain about the stock XJ airbox just as often. The trick is to twist, and take it out the RIGHT side. Piece of cake.
                As with most things I've found... it's the little tricks of the trade that make the difference.

I know I'm probably the last guy to give anybody advice about the 11, and hope I'm not being offensive... last thing I'm intending here. I know I'm still a rookie.

This trick was taught to me by Maximan... and I don't think anybody will dispute his knowledge of these bikes. I sure don't.
                Plus, it's proven itself to me... several times. I can pull the carbs on mine now... on the side of the road if need be, with a stock airbox, in about 5 minutes. No problem. Probably takes way longer than that to try to get the jetting right when you change to pods, I bet.

Hope this tip is helpful. I'm glad I learned it!
                Regards,
                Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                X