HELP selecting upgrade bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP selecting upgrade bike

I need some help with recommendations for an upgrade bike for a lady at work. She has 2 years of scooter riding under her belt and asked me to help her select a "real" bike for next season. I told her out right that I have not purchased a new bike in over 25 years and therefore have no idea what’s out there.
    She wants to spend between $2500 and $5000 on a new or used classic riding style bike of 500 cc or less. She is not brand loyal and would need a reliable bike. Any direction in this matter would be appreciated.
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Suzuki has the TU250, which is a retro styled 250 that looks a lot like a classic UJM. Not sure on the price though. Also keeping an eye on Craig's list for used stuff is a good idea.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

A 500cc Buell Blast, they are cheap, simple, reliable and have plenty of get up and go. I found one for a girl I used to work with for about $1,500 with only 3k miles on it. I rode it around for a few days and was a very well balanced and light bike for a beginner. They are belt drive so virtually no maintenance, just change the oil and go. They do vibrate some since it is half of a Harley engine.
      http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Or the totally mis-named Suzuki Savage.
        Very mild 650cc single, comparatively light weight (~350lbs) and a low seat height.
        http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyer...50S-Savage.htm
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Vstar 650

I see these bikes all the time on craigslist for between $2000 to $3500.
          The people I know who own one say they handle great and get good mileage as well as being very reliable.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

This is a good start. Please keep suggestions coming. I will print the list, do some additional research on the suggested bikes and take it from there.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
              A 500cc Buell Blast, they are cheap, simple, reliable and have plenty of get up and go. I found one for a girl I used to work with for about $1,500 with only 3k miles on it. I rode it around for a few days and was a very well balanced and light bike for a beginner. They are belt drive so virtually no maintenance, just change the oil and go. They do vibrate some since it is half of a Harley engine.
              One thing I might add...

I've heard there are some great deals right now on remaining stockpiles of Buells... since Harley was nuts enough to drop Buell...
              A friend got nearly a $6000 discount on a brand new one recently...
              I hear the dealers are trying to clear them out the door as quickly as possible.
              Shame... I love Buells... he built one heck of a bike, IMHO.
              She might check into it... if she's interested in something like that.
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Kawasaki 500 ltd most excellent
                vstars 250 and 650
                the 250 needs a sprocket change to make it less torquey
                2 larger on the drive end
                Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                and SOXS
                2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I know a guy in state college Pa that has a nice 79 650 special he restored and lowered for his wife, black, great paint, low miles. She likes here 250 honda better, it's not so fast...???? I know he had it listed on craig's list but it's a bad time to sell.
                  79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                  80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                  80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                  79 DT 100

Comment

3000 miles@$4K

http://www.bikez.biz/ads/showad.php?...ec=buell_blast

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/buell_blast_2008.php

The blast does seem like a safe start. Not too much power and the prices are dropping.
                    Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Yeah, but the problem with the blast is Eric showing up and tossing it in the crusher for a lame advertisment....
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

more options

on the yamaha side, the radian is nice, but they were 600cc.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yam...adian_1986.php

honda ft 500 ascot (only made 2 years though)

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_ft_500_1982.php

or a cm450

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...450_e_1982.php
                        Last edited by barberad; 11-06-2009, 01:31 PM. Reason: more info
                        Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                        Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                        while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

For the smaller CC bikes I have always liked the Nighthawk. It is what I took my riders safety course on and it handled really nice, had decent power for 250cc and looks to be pretty reliable.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

The Honda 250 rebel is a nifty little bike but even used they are pricey and a 250 many not be enough. The smaller displacment Viragos can be had in a 500, has a low seat height and is easy to handle. The Yamaha 250 Exciters are a single thumper and are plentiful and cheap. As mentioned, the Buell Blasts are pretty good bikes for there size. The HD rider courses all use them. They are a belt drive also. She might wanna stay away from a chain drive rig if she dosen't want the hassle of cleaning, lubing and adjusting. If she is tall enough, she might want to look at the DR/XR series of "dual purpose" bikes.
                            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Harley 883 sportster.....suzuki gs500...Triumph Bonneville.....Kawasaki Ninja 500R.... suzuki Boulevard......Hyosung GV 650

if she wants a bigger bike i think she should start out on a bigger cc bike like anything bigger then 250cc because she will probibly want to move up in a few months

alll the bike i listed above are bikes that are anywhere between 0-6000$$ mark...exept maybe the gv650 and the boulevard
                              _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                              1980 gs1000g "stock"
                              1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                              2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Working...
                              X