Throttle enrichment operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle enrichment operation

I have a question involving the operation of these. The engine will not run without the choke on when cold. As the engine warms it requires less and less choke, until no choke is needed at all. This is to be expected. What my question is with the choke in the "on" position shouldn't the idle speed be raised and the more choke the higher the idle? I seem to get only about a 400 rpm rise with choke "on" in any setting. I have another bike with a throttle enrichment style choke and the engine speed will increase accordingly with the increase in choke usage. What is normal on this bike? If it should be higher rpm's what should I look for as the problem? Gary

If the bike runs properly when warmed up, i can't see that there's a problem.

Comment

Assuming you mean an XS11? Since you posted in the "Other Bike" area, this is usually where topics are discussed that refer to non-XS11 bikes. Not a problem, but since you do not list your bike in your signature hard to tell for sure.

As to your question, on my XS11, when I pull the choke out to full on, start the bike from cold, it will start at about 1400 RPM. Normal idle for me is about 1100. After it starts to warm up it will go up to about 2500 RPM, then I push it in to half choke and it deops to about 12-1400 again. I usually ride at that point and after a mile or two I get to a stop and the engine idle will be up again and I push it all the way in. I have never pulled the choke back out afterwards.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Throttle Enrichment

The bike is a XJ750 1981 vintage. It runs and operates as you discribed your bike. So I am releived. Thanks, Gary

Comment

Working...
        X