V-Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Max

Is Yamaha still producing the V-Max? What's changed in the new models since the first as far as performance?

I can't figure out why everyone says it has brutal power. I saw one thing on the internet last night saying "this bike will do a 90mph wheelie."

I'm not knocking the V-Max. I would love to have one. I want to find someone who knows the nitty gritty comparison details between it and the V-65 Honda. But - I rode a V-Max a couple of years ago and it pulled just a little harder than my XS. Was I on a crapped out V-Max or what?

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

The musclemax is still in production. Around 1990 they beefed up the suspension and brakes. The motor is basically the same. A good running V-Max should have obviously more grunt than an XS or a V-65. Supposed to put out like 130hp. A good friend of mine has one, and he used to have a 79SF (a really good lookin' and good runnin' one) and he says the Max would kick its butt. Also says Max is even more stable at highway speed. There is a V-Max list, there's a zillion of em out there, a lot of them with lots of mods, so there are stock parts from 1990+ models if you want to retrofit an older max, like an 85 or whatever.
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

what is one worth?

I parked right next to one this morning - it's a sharp lookin' bike.

Comment

Comment

As of recently (a few days) the V-max is no longer being produced. It will be missed.

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Ahh, that's disappointing, and yet what I have been hearing - that production is done. Now we'll watch that price tag hover not much under 9k probably. Either that or it will increase. I want one. But.... if they don't become more available I'll have to try an FZ1.

Where have all the pretty / performance bikes gone? They need to vamp up the XS11 and build one like the one posted earlier here with the chrome wheels.....

Ben

Formerly:
            1982 XS650
            1980 XS1100g
            1979 XS1100sf
            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Performance bikes... hmm... I'll wait a couple years then try to buy a ZZR 1100 (ZX 1100R I guess in the US) offa friend. Bout 150HP and 280 kmh top speed should do it for a while

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Originally posted by strom
                As of recently (a few days) the V-max is no longer being produced. It will be missed.

LP
                Actually, V-Max production is still a go for the 2004 model according to a Yam dealer I spoke to yesterday. He's heard nothing about discontinuing the max. The 2003 model is all flat black and faux-carbon-fiber btw, kinda mean looking.
                Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I bought a Vmax this summer. A 1997 model. I had an 82 XJ1100. I thought the XJ was a quick bike. The XJ cant hold a candle to the Max. It is an awesome ride. If you didnt feel the pull on the Max you rode something was wrong with it. It should pull like he!! till 6500, then really take off and shoot for the redline. Everyone should have that experience at least once. I gaurantee you will have a smile on your face after the first ride.

97 Vmax, 88 Corvette convertible, 82 XJ100 gone to a new owner (sellers remorse is a horible thing)

Comment

Yup, there was definitely something wrong with it. Perhaps that's why after only a short discussion, he handed me the keys and let me take it for a spin.

Formerly:
                    1982 XS650
                    1980 XS1100g
                    1979 XS1100sf
                    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

The new ones come in a cool carbon fiber design, looks awesome.
                      Gary Granger
                      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

V-Max Still alive

Here's the link on Yahama's Home page for the '04 V-max. Sweet looking bike.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...y&cid=4&mid=23

Cuda_phish1
                        A Happy Barracuda on nitrous!

Comment

SWMBO has taste

We stopped at the local Yammie dealer to look around... My wife was looking at the used bikes that she could touch the ground on... She sits on a vmax and said " i like this bike"
                          the lower center of gravity and lower sit height make it easier to pick the bike up off the kickstand then my 78E.. only problem i can see is thaat she will have a hard time keeping me off of it..lmao
                          plus.. she will be able to out run my 78E..
                          Now, if I could only come up with the $6000 for it
                          Shawn
                          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                          78 XS1100E Parts
                          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Working...
                          X