question for the mechanics- V65 Magna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for the mechanics- V65 Magna

Anybody have any inputs on the 1983 V65 Magna. A friend of mine has been looking and has found a few to look at, so I was wondering if any knew about the major issues that those bikes had? (like our 1st/2nd gear).

I read some were that they sometimes had trouble getting oil to the top of the engine and that Honda denied the whole thing for years and blamed the riders. I guess the riders came up with an oil line mod.
    They do not have a group like ours (that I have been able to find), so if any has any inputs I would appriciate it.
    Dan
    Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Biggest problem I have seen with them is that our beloved XS11s will blow them away.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Ivan,
      That's all fine and good, but when I am looking at this bike with my friend, I was hoping I would have some sort of wear and tear concepts to check for. Sights and sounds type of thing. I tried a couple of forums, but I believe we may have a real good one here that not many can come real close to.
      while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Originally posted by barberad View Post
        Ivan,
        That's all fine and good, but when I am looking at this bike with my friend, I was hoping I would have some sort of wear and tear concepts to check for. Sights and sounds type of thing. I tried a couple of forums, but I believe we may have a real good one here that not many can come real close to.
        Check out this link for Sabre/Magna stuff
        http://www.sabmag.org/

Had one for many years in the 80's. (Sabre not Magna) No problems in approx 30K miles. However there is an issue with some of the cam shaft bearing castings not being drilled as a unit in the head. Doesn't seem to effect all engines. But to be on the safe side, should do the oi mod.
        BTW on handling. Bike is a bit top heavy. Put some some decent modern tires on it and the squirrly handling goes away.

OH Yeah. XS1100 beating it? ROFL LOL
        John
        Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
        '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
        '78 CB750F ( The F)
        '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
        New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
        Then: '76 CB550K
        '78 CB750F
        '84 VF1100S
        And still Looking!

Comment

JJwaller,
          Thanks for the link. Turns out my friend and I (who used to work in japan together) went and looked at the bike. Third owner and looked garage kept, the guy looked vagly familiar and after talking for a couple of minutes realized we worked together in japan like 15 years ago as well.
          Bikes got 30k miles and new tread, extra pipes, winshields, 2 extra seats, saddlebags and some other stuff to go with it. After my buddy rode it, I could tell from the smile on his face as he came back he was buying it.
          He will pick up the bike monday. i will pass the link on to him.
          Thanks

Comment

Hi Barberad,
            both my sons had '83 VF750F bikes. Same V4 engine in a sports chassis. They are OK when they are new and any still running have presumably been fixed under Honda's secret warranty or were OK to begin with. But they are a right swine to work on. What works good on a racebike with a horde of factory mechanics to keep it running for four hours practice and four hours in a race before a teardown is not necessarily the same as what will keep the bike running a 1/4-century later.
            Dodge Racing Products
            http://www.drp123.com/
            are the go-to guys for parts, upgrades and service work on these machines.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes the carbs are a PITA! They are sandwiched between the heads. And I don't know about all but one I seen had a 5th gear issue. Acts alot like our 2-3 gear on our 11's. And yes the bike is top heavy. But sits really nice. But I still like my 11. Nothing like it.

Oh and on the carbs. If you ever have to tear into them, do one at a time as the jets are different from 2 to 2. As one set of 2 is a downdraft type and the other is a updraft type. Something like that. And the fuel pump relay has some issues if the wires get dirty or corroded. If that model is set up like that it will be behind the rear wheel inner fender mud flap. I believe thats about it.
              Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
              87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
              93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
              71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
              69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Fast bikes. My XS11 would have lost to a V65.

They have a really cool exhaust note.

Very good power.

Top end oiling issues.

+1 on carbs being a royal PITA to work on. You have to pry them out of the manifolds in a strange fashion after removing a bunch of stuff, including coolant hoses.

Top heavy. Wheelie prone.

I would own one, though. I looked at some before getting my '85 V-Max.
                1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
                X