Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 XS 400 Lost Key

My Dad has a 78 xs400 and has lost the key. He wants to know:

1. What wires he would use to "hot wire" it. (He's only going to ride it near his farm and theft is not really an issue to him there)

2. How can he get the gas tank open? This will be an issue even if he gets a replacement ignition because the key would be different.

3. Can dealers look up the VIN and cut a replacement key?

Any help on these issues would be appreciated.

easy fix

Hi Tod,,,,pull off the headlight and you will see plenty of wires in the compartment. Two will connect the key wires to run the bike. If you have a voltmeter find the one with power,,,and connect a short piece of wire, ends stripped an inch or so, to the adjoining wire. Bad thing is by jumping them the battery will constantly drain. Unless you put in a switch the battery will die quickly after running. If you want to jump it, connect a short piece of wire to the, I am guessing the colors, but they should be brown and red. Poke the ends in the hole and the dash light will come on and you are ready to start. A key can be cut in most Yamaha shops by taking in the ignition switch and the fuel tank lock, around 20.00,,,,the best way to go, but an hour or so to pull both off the bike. You can pry open the gas tank cover with a thin screwdriver,,,push in the front of the lock towards the bottom, and the little plate will push in to release the lock, even a small piece of flat metal will work. THe plate has a small spring,,so a little pressure is needed.
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

added mess

forgot to say the spring loaded plate can also be in the side of the gas tank cap,,,,if you look at the bottom of the cap,,there will be a small plate noticable,,,they are either on the front or the side,,,,push in the flat plate and it should pop open fairly easily,,,,good luck, keep us informed,,,Mike in S.Diego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

It would be a lot easier to take the key code off the ignition switch (I'd take the whole ignition switch, just to be safe) to the dealer, and they can make a new key for less than $20. That way, it stays clean, and you'll have the key for all the spots on the bike.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

If the dealer isn't convinient, or won't take the job on, take the ignition switch to a local locksmith. They can cut you a new key as well.
          Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
          '07 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks

I talked to Dad tonight (he has no internet), and told him what you all said, he's going to pull the ignition and take it to a dealer/locksmith.

Thanks for the replies, they were all very helpful!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxj1100 View Post
              My Dad has a 78 xs400 and has lost the key. He wants to know:
              1. What wires he would use to "hot wire" it. (He's only going to ride it near his farm and theft is not really an issue to him there)
              2. How can he get the gas tank open? This will be an issue even if he gets a replacement ignition because the key would be different.
              3. Can dealers look up the VIN and cut a replacement key?
              Any help on these issues would be appreciated.
              Hi Todd,
              there's a 4 digit number on the lock faces of the ignition switch and the gas cap.
              If it's the same number, one key will fit both.
              By all means take the locks to the locksmith but the number alone should get the key cut.
              If you don't want to go through the hassle of getting new keys cut, there is a better way than running a jumper wire to the ignition and you can't jumper wire a gas cap anyhow.
              Take the ignition switch apart and remove the wards from the lock, now it will work with any key at all or even with a screwdriver.
              You can pop the gas cap with a small screwdriver shoved in under the cap flatwise from the front.
              Once the cap is open you can remove and de-gut it's lock too.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
              X