Yamaha R1 test ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha R1 test ride

It was a gorgeous day yesterday, rode my Bandit to a gig, and on the way home I was nearing a Yam dealer (Lynnwood Motoplex) and stopped in.

Imagine that, they had two used R1's on the floor....hmmm so I asked if I could test one, the guy said well no, our insurance doesn't allow sport bike or watercraft test rides. I said, hey, I have insurance, cmon...he says, well, the boss isn't here, okay.

There was nowhere to get that baby up into the real powerband (tuned for high revving), but yow wow zow what a ton of smooth power! The short wheelbase made for very quick steering, even with a crappy cupped front tire on it - it must be awesome w/ good rubber on front.

Okay, I expected big power and good handling, but what really struck me was how comfortable it was! High pegs, clip-on bars, but I didn't feel as if I had to support any of my weight on my hands/the bars. I suppose after a few hours my back might have got tired, but even though the seating position is radically different from my Bandit, I was quite comfy. Tip of the hat to Yam for getting the ergos so good.

Did I mention the power?

This was a 2000 model, 8500 mi, they were asking too much of course, like $7500 (new ones are ~9500). But if Intel stock was at $80 instead of $20, I'd be tempted.
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

R1

Those R1's are cool..and tons of power/ the high rpm makes it diffficult to tool around town but I bet the open road would be a trip...I looked a t udes R1 a 2001 and they wanted way too much also...,no clip ons etc....but really sweet bike. enjoy the free rides when you can variety will make you want another bike

Shack
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

Comment

The back is no problem on these bikes.... trust me. The only problem is, the cops need a jet to catch u... afaik most copters fly only bout 250 kmh... LOL.... you should try a tuned ZX12R or for more comfort... a hayabusa 1300... LOL

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I really want to try an FZ1.

Ben
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I got to ride Harley Dave's new 2003 R1 at the Classic Bike Rally in Georgia a few weeks ago. I really liked the way the bike cornered and it felt right at home in the tight twisties. Dave and I swapped bikes (He took my 1997 Bandit 1200) and we went for a run up hwy 180, which is Wolfpen Gap Road. This road has a couple of small straight sections but finished with several miles of non-stop 15-20mph corners. It took me a while to get used to the handling and a poorly adjusted throttle cable, so I took it easy for most of the ride out.

On the ride back I got more comfortable and actually did some double yellow passing and got into a fairly smooth rhythm in the corners. It is easy to be quick in the corners with this bike. I was running the bike about 4500 RPM in the twisties and at this speed the bike is very smooth and predictable with plenty of power for corner carving. Once you get the bike up higher in the rev range things start to happen quickly and it is not so easy to be smooth. This thing is a real Jeckyle and Hyde.

As you ride the bike the first thing you notice is that the brakes are just phenominal, You could easily do 1 finger stoppies on this bike so no panic braking allowed. I used to think the brakes on the Bandit were good but recent rides on an FJR 1300 abs and this R1 proved that the next generation of braking is here. (and I like it).

All in all a great bike, but the ergos stink. A big boy,like me, is not comfortable in the weight forward sportbike position. They say you need to grip the tank with your knees and lift with your legs to keep the weight off hands, wrists and arms. I found you could do this a little but for the most part I stipped back into the uncomfortable mode fairly quickly. I was ready to get-off after the 45 minute ride was over. In fact my thumb was tingling for about half a day afterwards from having too much weight on my hands.

Since the FZ1 has a similar motor and running gear with a more upright position, I think I would like that much better. I would have to rate this bike a solid 6 out of 10 only because of the comfort. Brakes and motor are 10 out of 10. Comfort a 2 out of 10. ( Bike is smooth, powerful, quiet, beautiful, and awsome in the twisties. Too bad it has such a demanding riding position .

Bottom line? I will stick with my Bandit for now.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

So Gary, is it our height difference or what? We had totally opposite impression of the ergonomics I was only on the bike for 45 minutes, but felt no weight on my hands/arms...

Just goes to show that the way a bike fits is a very individual thing.
            Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I think you being much taller helps to hold your head up, and that feels more comfortable. Also with longer arms that only helps with the angles. Maybe with a set of heli-bars and a new seat i would be as comfortable as you were, but I can only relate to what I rode. Also if I had gotten out in the wind it may have helped to 'hold me up' as they say, but I only did low speed stuff.
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
              X