Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any knowledge about the 1974 Kawasaki S3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any knowledge about the 1974 Kawasaki S3?

I have been looking at one of these for sale fairly cheap, but I don't have much information on the model other than it is a two stroke. The guy is selling a spare parts bike ('76) and a seized engine with it for about $500. Besides the usual used/beaten things to look for, are there any known issues with these bikes? This could make a great starter bike for my gf, and a fun around town bike for me. Anyone owned one have some good/bad things to say about them?

Thanks!
    1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
    1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

If you mean the H-3, that is NO starter bike. I once helped a friend pick one up 'cause he didn't have a MC license. They are scary fast. Killer fast. If memory serves, I think those were the bikes responsible for the introduction of rim locks 'cause they would spin the rubber right off the rim.

Comment

Haha - Now you are just making me want it for myself. Found a great article on a '75 vintage that is making me really interested. Never had to play with points before and it is apparently hard to get parts for these. The exhaust is in good shape, but that is just the seller's opinion - I have asked to go see it this week to see for myself. Always wanted a kick start two-stroke.
      1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
      1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

used to ride a 500 Kwaka as the shop bike for local repairer many moons ago. it was fairly basic until 4000 then best to have pointed in desired direction. handling left much to be desired. also interesting when braking hard, or cornering in spirited manner. designers put invisible hinge in frame, flex when pushing at not much beyond moderate levels was sometimes scary. that was on stocker, various nutters here ported engines and fitted expansion chambers.

Comment

Randy is right(as usual)it's an H-3.Not a beginners bike.I've had plenty of two stroke road bikes as well as a 750 kaw two stroke.Neither is for the lighthearted.My favorite was my 79 Yamaha RD 400.Very quick,handles well,good breaking and reliable.A lot of fun around town and on the twisties.
          Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

While not mild mannered the S3 350cc triple was not the evil bike the H1 and H2 were. It was more comparable to the Yamaha RD350. All in all not a bad little bike and I wouldn't mind having one if the price was right and I could sneak it past my wife.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

my father in law recently sent a 73 s3 to a friend/business contact in the uk. it only had 12000 miles on it. my understanding is that the gent that got it was very happy to get it, even though it needed one piston and a lot of paper work for him to get it on the road.

kindof an interesing looking bike though
              K. Johnson
              -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
              triple clean and boots
              -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
              replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
              -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
              $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Sorry Rubin I forgot about the s-3 350.I think my brain is getting soft.Terry
                1980 special (Phyllis)
                1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

S3

S3 is a fun bike ive owned a few H2-750's and they were rockets lol just didnt like to turn very well i just picked up another H2 basket case that has been sitting since 81 i beleive and i got it for free lol in 5 diff boxes.wouldnt mind finding a RD400 to play with either
                  79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                  80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                  06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                  2000 Concours
                  84 Kawi KLR600
                  79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                  79 XR250
                  Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                  John

Comment

S3 is the 400, the S2 was the 350 and the S1 was the 250 (I have only seen one of the 250s ever) and they were all triples. I have owned 2 of the 350s and 1 of the 400s. I still have pics of the two 350s:

These bikes were awesome fun to ride especially after I set up the black one with a longer swing arm, the 400 clutch pack, the Denco expansion chambers and a set of H1 carbs. That one would hit 110 mph in a flash.
                    One thing I hated about them was that they only got about 45 miles per tank of gas.

Oh yeah, and the cats name was Charley, she loved sitting up there.
                    Last edited by GNEPIG; 07-19-2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

500 bucks seems like a great deal, if it has a title.

Comment

Kawasaki Triples

I've had the 350, 500, and 750. Like someone said earlier in one of the posts, best have all of them pointed in the right directhion cause when you hit the power band, you will see the speedometer very close to you're face. Drum brakes on the 500 were horrible, I know this from experience!!!!Still have the scars to prove.
                        78 XS1100E Standard
                        Coca Cola Red
                        Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Was a sad day - I drove out to see them and they were already sold and picked up. So instead I bought a 'new' truck. '89 Cheyenne 1500, V6 reg cab 2WD. Low miles at 150,000 km and mechanically perfect. A few rust spots on the cab corners and the fenders, but otherwise in great shape and for the same price of 500 Canadian. Least I don't have to borrow one now when I see that special project bike at a low cost. Think that is what lost me the S3's.

Comment

Working...
                          X