XS400 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS400 help

I'm thinking about adding an XS400 to the stable, and I need some help from some people with a little more experience. Is there any interchangeability in parts with any of the rest of the XS line? Will some of the 650 parts work? Lord knows I dare not ask the guys at MikesXS. Are there any particular issues to look for? Is there an owners website that you all know about? Info on the internet seems pretty limited.

Thanks
    1981 XS 1100-full restomod in progress

What year xs400? The later ones (I had an '82) are considerably different than earlier models. The '82 has a monoshock rear suspension and uses a backbone frame rather than down tubes.

Best bet to see if parts are interchangeable is to look at on-line microfiche; I use http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx as a reference for all my Yamaha products. As usuall, if the part number starts with the same 3 digits as your engine / frame number the part was introduced on that bike and may be unique to it. Many trim parts fall into this category. If the part number begins with numbers or a different 3 letter/number code, the part was used on other Yamaha models and can be swapped back and forth. Some place I had a link to a page that listed the first 3 letter/number to a model (i.e. 10M = 1982 XJ1100J) but I can't find it off hand However, a Yamaha dealer could fix you up with the same information.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I've got an 82' xs400 special that I'm in the process of restoring. Pretty straight forward bike. Like most xs of that era you've got to check out the fuse box. Mine was shot and I ended up gutting it and replacing the fuse holders with the newer style fuses. Have had some oil leaks but getting all that lined out.

Not going to claim to be an expert on this bike but I can help with parts interchangeability particularly from Mixesxs and a couple other vendors. Let me know what questions you come up with and I'll be happy to help where I can.

Here's the link to it if you want to see what I've done so far:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22290
      My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
      1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
      1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
      1981 Suzuki GS550 E
      1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

Thanks for the info. The bike is a '78 XS400 and I'm picking it up today. It's a little rough around the edges, but I only paid $150. It hopefully will only need a few little things to get running again. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.
        1981 XS 1100-full restomod in progress

Comment

xs400

Hi Edmundcop,,,,good find. I have had a number of the xs400's and they are different. Mostly the 80's up are different than the 70's generation. Be sure to put a fuel filter and clean the carbs thoroughly. Adjust the valves, new plugs, lube the cables, change oil, etc. These bikes are very durable and last a long time. They are great for buzzing around under 60, but over its a buzz and strain. Also they get great milage,,around 50-65 mpg. Once you get it going good it should just be like Maytag,,,they just go. I would suggest a new sealed battery so you dont have to mess with adding water, they are cheap on Ebay. Plenty of parts available too, between Ebay and Partsnmore,,,it should go for a long time. Regards, Mike in San Diego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

I think some pics are in order here .........

c'mon share that new toy with us.
            My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
            1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
            1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
            1981 Suzuki GS550 E
            1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

Working...
            X