Yamaha Raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Raider

Well, we'll see if I made the right decision or not. I left my home this morning and went over to the open house at Motorcycles Of Manchester (MOM's) here in NH.

I couldn't control myself so I put money down on a 2009 Yamaha Raider. 1854 cc, V-twin, four valve. I took one for a test ride and fell in love. Soooo smooth, quiet, and I couldn't get over how easy it was to balance at slow coming to a stop.

I had to have one. Being a Sunday, the loan offices were mostly closed and it seems I have four hits on my credit report, all because Workers Comp dropped the ball on paying for medical bills. I thought Workers Comp bills were not allowed to be put on my credit report.

This all stems from an accident I had with a Black Hawk helicopter and me being goofy enough to let my legs hang into the wheel while it was moving backwards. US Customs aircraft, I was a US Customs Officer so everything was suppose to be covered.

Anyway......hopefully tomorrow things will work out and I can get my loan and take the bike home.

I am not sure yet what I will do with my two Specials...1980 XS1100SG and my 1981 XS1100SH. I may keep the 80's since it is all up and running, just needs a little work. The 81, now that's in mid overhaul. I guess I just got fed up with all the searching for parts for these old bikes and trying to get them running 100% with my limited mechanical skills.

Heck, I just ordered new tires for my 80 and a new Jardine Exhaust for my '81. Oh well, it's only money, right?

(my '80SG)

Don
    currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Raider

Good choice on the raider all the write ups praise it for Power ,handling ,ride etc. Nicest looking factory cruiser out there in my mind. If i was you i would go to my own bank ,i do this for a living ( finance) you will get a better rate and you can sit down and tell them why the hits are there.Dont make an appointment or it will be days just walk in and asks to talk to someone about a loan,suddenly someone will be available. Congrats on the new bike ill see you at XSEAST.
    Doug
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Yesterday was a frustrating day for the most part. All kinds of banks were shooting me down for loans because of the three medical bills unpaid on my credit report. All three should have been paid for by OWCP, Dept of Labor back in 2004.

I had pretty much written the bike off when I finally got a call from the Yamaha Dealer saying I had been approved.

Looks like I'll be picking up the new Raider by the end of this week, just in time for the temps in the mid to upper 70's here in New Hampshire.

Gary F is not real happy with me for betraying his XS1100 trust.

Don
      currently own;
      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH View Post
        Yesterday was a frustrating day for the most part. All kinds of banks were shooting me down for loans because of the three medical bills unpaid on my credit report. All three should have been paid for by OWCP, Dept of Labor back in 2004.

Don
        Congrats on the new bike. Now for some advice on you credit. Since they rejected you based on credit history, you are now entitled to get a copy of your credit report they used for free from each one of them. You also can get a free credit report from all three agencies once every 12 months, this can be done on-line also.. You can dispute the hits on-line with each agency. Follow up up with a written letter to each agency disputing the hits. It may take some legwork and time, but it sounds like you have a good chance of all the hits being removed.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was online last night which each of the three credit agencies and filing disputes with the three hits I had.

1) radio imaging
          2) ambulance fees
          3) a doctor who made rounds on me

All three show up as being right after my accident I had at work on 4/11/04. I'll pass on the info to the lawyer I have working my OWCP case.

I pick up the bike Friday.

Don
          currently own;
          1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
          2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Got it!

I've been taking advantage of this summerlike weather here in NH, up near 90 degrees F today. Cruised the beaches, etc.

Man does this bike ride sweet!!!

Don
            currently own;
            1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
            2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

That is one sweet bike. I'd own one if I had the checkbook to cover it. Looks great!
              68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
              76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
              79 special (skull bike)
              79 special (parts bike w/title)
              79 special
              80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
              81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
              81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
              80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
              81 650 maxim
              81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
              88 Zx 600r (Sold)
              01 Gz 250

Comment

I was surprised to learn that the Raider has a lot more power than the mean looking Warrior.

The Raider has the 1854 cc engine while the Warrior has a 1670 cc.

FYI, the Raiders go for about $14,000 incase you are interested. Just do as I plan....quit eating for about four years and I just may end up living in my pickup truck.

Don
                currently own;
                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Damn you and your sexy new bike That is the only bike i would ever buy NEW PERIOD
                  1978 XS1100E Standard
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                  TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
                  Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Originally posted by Korr View Post
                    Damn you and your sexy new bike That is the only bike i would ever buy NEW PERIOD
                    Unfortunately, I have nothing to add to the sexiness.

Don
                    currently own;
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Beautiful bike Don.I keep leaving brochures of new vmaxs lying around but wife is unimpressed and keeps putting them back in my wish file.Can't figure out why. Terry
                      1980 special (Phyllis)
                      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

There was a friend of a friend that was trying to sell his 2008 Raider for $6,500 with less than 3,000 miles on it a couple weeks ago. He was hard up for cash. I'm sure it is gone by now, not in the budget or really my taste, but I like 102.8 ft-lb of torque at 2600 rpm!
                        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
                          There was a friend of a friend that was trying to sell his 2008 Raider for $6,500 with less than 3,000 miles on it a couple weeks ago. He was hard up for cash. I'm sure it is gone by now, not in the budget or really my taste, but I like 102.8 ft-lb of torque at 2600 rpm!

The poor guy must really be caught between a rock and a hard place. That really would be a steal. Sad to hear as I have been there in the past and luckily had someone help me out. Like the movie, "Pay it Forward", I've tried to help others to make up for my luck in having someone help me. Example, two people who rent apartments next to me have been in a jam for paying the rent. It's a great feeling to be able to help them out now and let them pay it back when they can.

Don
                          currently own;
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                          2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH View Post
                            . Example, two people who rent apartments next to me have been in a jam for paying the rent. It's a great feeling to be able to help them out now and let them pay it back when they can. Don
                            Cool, Very Cool... Not enough people like you left in the world.
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Just an update. Man, if any of you folks are thinking about a new bike, I can't say enough good about the Raider. What an absolutely comfortable bike to ride. I've already put about 1200 miles on it and totally love this bike!

Since that previous photo, I've added a backrest, engine guards and a mini windshield, all made specifically for the Raider. I'll post a photo once the rainy weather moves out.

Don
                              Last edited by DJinNH; 05-28-2009, 09:31 AM.
                              currently own;
                              1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                              2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
                              X