suzuki vstrom 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suzuki vstrom 650

has anyone taken a 650 vstrom for a ride or know someone who owns one. I was intrested in buying one , and would like a lil more information one them. I've never read anything bad on them , but its always nice to talk to people who actually ride motorcycles. thank you.

I have ridden it. My impression was favorable. I was surprised by all the power it puts to the pavement. I expect it's quite versatile. I rode it comfortably through the twisties. I rode the 1000cc version too. I liked it, but I had just hopped off of a FZ1.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Hi Yamaphil,
      I have had the pleasure of riding a Vstrom 650 for about 200 miles. have toured with another on 1000. Great bike very comfortable (6'2") and suitable for paved and gravel roads. Very responsive. I think they have a face only mother can love but a great bike the 650 has a better power to weight ratio so definitely the better choice acording to some who know.
      Maxim Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Phil, I'm not sure how the 650 has a better power to weight ratio; it is only 45 pounds lighter and has about 3/5ths the HP. However, the 650 is a great bike and is smoother than the 1000. The 1000 is a bit abrupt and you have to be careful at lower speeds or you'll end up watching it go down the road.
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Hi Bill,
          As I noted in my post I was repeating what others have told me bout the power perhaps their explanation was not as clear as yours. I found the 650 to have plenty of power and very responsive engine making it easy to ride.
          Phil

Originally posted by nashville_bill View Post
          Phil, I'm not sure how the 650 has a better power to weight ratio; it is only 45 pounds lighter and has about 3/5ths the HP. However, the 650 is a great bike and is smoother than the 1000. The 1000 is a bit abrupt and you have to be careful at lower speeds or you'll end up watching it go down the road.
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

o.k alot of the dealer around my home town don't like to let you take the bike and such out for a test ride unless you talk $$$$ , sometime I just like to look at new product and such. I ride a 1978xs1100 , and I would like a to mabey purchase a new bike, but not retire the yamha. thanks for your advice you guys.

Comment

Deja Vu

2 days ago I went to the same dealer that sold me my '82 XJ1100 Maxim back in'83...They had a '05 Wee Strom 650 with only 2500 miles on it....They were quite happy to have me take a demo ride...which I did...I was quite impressed with a number of factors...1)weight... its light compared to my '95 Honda ST1100 or my '82 Maxim it felt like a mini bike in comparison 2)fuel economy avgs 50 MPG 3) fuel injected...power delivery is smooth and in city stop and go riding its a breeze.4)Handling and acceleration...on the 2 laners and twisties this bike is a blast to ride! Easy to take fast sweepers and straight line acceleration was damn good. I wound it up to 9000 RPMs and was hauling @$$ over 100 MPH. BTW Redline is 10500 RPMs 5) off road capabilities...excellent and well planted on dirt roads that I found and rode. The HP is just right as is the torque...the 1000 has too much power in the dirt and cant be utilized to the extent that it can with the 650. This bike is a 90* v-twin mill and I was duly impressed by its performance. If you would like to know more visit ADV Rider forum...they have a whole section on the VStroms...also you can check a dedicated forum known as Stromtrooper.com. If I had the cash this bike would be in the garage...so i've decided to put my ST1100 up forsale..if it goes then the Wee Strom comes home...Hope this helps...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

hey madmax-im , thanks any lil bit of info is good for me. Theres some many bikes out there and the v-strom really turns my crank"excuse the pun" when I sat on it it fit me good without any pressure on wrist , or having to reach for anything u know!! thanks for your help see ya on the road.

Comment

Hi BNE,
                  Steady... It's just LUST Take a cold shower and remember who you are. Go back and look at your posts praising the ST.
                  Phil
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                    Hi BNE,
                    Steady... It's just LUST Take a cold shower and remember who you are. Go back and look at your posts praising the ST.
                    Phil
                    Phil I am a pragmatic guy...While I do love the ST it aint no dirt roadie and how many times I have seen dirt roads and wanted to explore them. The Wee STrom would give me the best of both worlds...and I am all for diversity in a bike's capabilities. If you have ever visited ADV Rider forum you would see how capable an adventure bike the Wee STrom is..,People are really doing anything and everything imaginable off the tar...even a bit more extreme than I would be. There are more miles of dirt roads in the US than there are paved...Have you ever heard of the TAT? Thats the Trans America Trail...its a combination of routes from Tenn all the way to Oregon...and most of it is dirt...it runs into Ark,OK CO,UT,NV,CA and OR ...the trail is doable by most adv bikes but the lighter ones will have the advantag especially in the rugged western Colo. sectionsdo a search on the TAT...anyway its the lure of going places that you cant do on a regular strret bike...places with no cars! Too remote? Most of the TAT is close enough to civilization so you can find food gas and lodging if you want.
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi BNE,
                      Oh No not you too. My friend Ron is always pressuring me to get a Vstrom and go on the ADV rides with him. you know I am just rattling your chain. I would say an excellent choice if the woods are calling. After the TAT you can try some of Canada's dirt roads. For real dust I suggest Africa.
                      Phil
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                        Hi BNE,
                        Oh No not you too. My friend Ron is always pressuring me to get a Vstrom and go on the ADV rides with him. you know I am just rattling your chain. I would say an excellent choice if the woods are calling. After the TAT you can try some of Canada's dirt roads. For real dust I suggest Africa.
                        Phil
                        Ha! I would be game for Canada but no thanks to Africa Keep in mind that the Wee STrom is better suited for off road stuff than is the V-Strom...the Wee is 650cc and the V is 1000cc...not only because of the weight differential but because the Wee has the right combination of HP and torque...the V has too much of both for off roading...by offroad the keyword is road...not trails or mud or deep sand or rocks...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                        X