XJ650...getting it into first.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ650...getting it into first.

I have an XJ650 that whenever I start it and try to put it into first when it's cold, it dies. It's sounds a little rough going into gear. After a few tries it will finally take and keep running and then has no problems afterwards; only on first start up. Any clue?
    '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
    '86 VF500F
    '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Maybe need to adjust the clutch. Could be warped plates.

I actually will warm my XS11 up a bit, then shut if off and restart it in gear to avoid that first thing in the morning ca-chunk.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by BlackD1114 View Post
      I have an XJ650 that whenever I start it and try to put it into first when it's cold, it dies. It's sounds a little rough going into gear. After a few tries it will finally take and keep running and then has no problems afterwards; only on first start up. Any clue?
      Hi BlackD,
      I have an XJ650 too. Transmission on mine is much quieter than XS.
      WHat grade of oil iin the engine. When did you last change it?
      I find mine gets clunky when it's time for an oil change.
      Try starting it on the centre stand. If it takes more than a gentle touch to stop the wheel turning the clutch is dragging which may just be an adjustment (as already posted)
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I had one that sat for a while and 2 of the frictions were bonded to the steels...I had to disassemble and clean the steels and re-soaked the frictions after cleaning them as well. Like Phil said start it on the stand, see if the wheel starts spinning. It might just need an adjustment.
        Richard

Comment

Sounds like the first thing I'm going to try is to adjust the clutch cable. If this doesn't work then I guess it's back to the drawing board.

I just changed the oil in it BTW. I used 10w-40 Yamalube. I just went to the dealer, told them what bike I had, and bought what they put on the counter. I hope it was the right choice.

Previous ride:
          '86 VF500F
          '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Sounds like the first thing I'm going to try is to adjust the clutch cable. If this doesn't work then I guess it's back to the drawing board.

I just changed the oil in it BTW. I used 10w-40 Yamalube. I just went to the dealer, told them what bike I had, and bought what they put on the counter. I hope it was the right choice.
            Hi BlackD,
            I use 10w40 too. Just thought a heavy oil might be causing your problem.
            Phil
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
              Hi BlackD,
              I use 10w40 too. Just thought a heavy oil might be causing your problem.
              Phil
              I'm glad you asked. I heard that using the wrong weight oil could lead to clutch problems. I'm happy to see that the dealer gave me the right oil.

Previous ride:
              '86 VF500F
              '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

I'm glad you asked. I heard that using the wrong weight oil could lead to clutch problems. I'm happy to see that the dealer gave me the right oil.
                Hi BlackD,
                That clutch might jut need a good long ride to fix it. Good high speed run along your favorite road or to some exotic destination you have never visited before. I have been told the more they see wrenches the more they want to be wrenched. the carbs like a good stretch of full throttle too
                Phil
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                X