Noobs VIN number hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobs VIN number hunt

Hey fellas,I was hoping someone would be able to tell me where the VIN number would be on the frame of a 79 xs 250,I am new to biking and bought the old girl off ebay,she is a bit of a dog at the moment but with a lot of tlc I reckon she will be OK.
    Anyhoo I need to fill out a V5 registration form but I need the frame number to register the bike in my name .
    The bike has been in dry storage for a number of years ,its suffering from a fair bit of surface rust on the chrome ,its gonna need a few bits here and there but all in all its in fair condition for its age .
    I bought it as a non runner ,so when I got it home tried to start it with the help of some jump leads ,it seems to be getting fuel but not firing up ,so I took the plugs out left them on the leads and tried again to see if there was a spark ,there wasnt,on either side ,any thoughts as to the cause ?.
    I am waiting for my haynes manual to arrive (ebay again) and a speial scratching stick so I dont wear my fingers out whilst scratching my head when this project gets underway.
    I know this is a site spcifically for XS11,s but I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me a little advice ,it would be much appreciated ,thankyou
    Joe.

Well, if it's in the same place as the XS, it will be on the side of the fork tube, and stamped on the right side of the engine. Because it's a 79, the VIN is the Serial number, which happens to be a shorter number than the modern (after '80) vehicles recieved.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Cool,I had spotted the stamp on the engine and wondered whether it was there ,ok thanks I will look on the fork tube aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Yamajoey View Post
        Cool,I had spotted the stamp on the engine and wondered whether it was there ,ok thanks I will look on the fork tube aswell
        Hi Joey,
        the engine & frame numbers should be the same but if they are different (some PO may have plugged in a different engine) go with the frame number that's stamped on the steering head.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Congrats on the bike
          my first road bike was a 78 xs250 back in 82,
          will be a good bike to learn on.
          If the bikes been sitting for a bit, start cleaning
          and checking all the wire connections and change
          all fluids.
          Good luck with it.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X