• Need help on what XS1100 bike I have

Hi,

I'm just starting out in motorcycles.I bought a XS1100 yamaha 1980
    as my first bike.I'm going to do a total restore on it myself as it's
    in bad shape,but I'm not giving up on it.I need to hear it run again

My problem is this...I need to order parts for it like crab kits for one
    But i'm not sure what make I have of the XS1100 as the left and right
    side panels are gone.The title reads for the model XS1100G-S and it's
    a 1980 bike.I have found a 1980 XS1100SG but why is it sg and not gs?

So I would be grateful for some help from you guys on how I can be sure of the make of XS1100 bike I have.

Glad to have joined the site here lots of great info..Thanks Chad

What is it?

Was your "new" bike pretty complete when you bought it? I bought an 80 XS1100SG on the internet. I was pretty lucky to get a decent deal. Not perfect but worth working on. I think the correct model is 1100SG. I will try to help w/ any other ID ect.

Comment

Hello Lordskeep, and welcome to channel 11!!

The model identification most often used is XS1100SG, sound sliek you have the same thing on the title, just someone switched letter around as it is a G model because it is 1980. 78 was the first year and they were E model, 79=F, 80=G, and 81=H. There was only one mdoel originally in 78 the standard or E, in 79 they added the Special or FS model in 80 and 81 they continued th Specials as SG and SH respectively, and also added a Midnight Special or LG and LH for 80 and 81 respectively.

Now, here coems the tricky part, if your bike has been a little neglected which you make it sound as though it has, then it could be a "frankenbike" or a mismatch of parts form different years and types. If you can post soem pics, we can definitely help narrow alot of it down. That and the engine code number will identify what year engine is in it, and a good pic of the carbs will help identify what year they are from as well. Could well be 100% stock, but you never know till you look it over good.

You can also look here for some guidance,

http://www.xs11.com/faqs/17-differen...odels-faq.html

HTH
      Last edited by DGXSER; 04-04-2009, 06:38 PM.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info it helped me alot.From the link you posted I must have the 1980 XS1100G model non non special model that is not the SG.I don't have drilled rotors or two horn buttons Etc.So I'm thinking that the title means a
        1980 XS1100G and the -S part stands for Standard.

Well thanks for the posts, helped me alot.I'm going to up some pictures of the bike soon...then later the restored pics.

Thanks again Chad

Comment

Some major visual differences.

Hi Chad & welcome.
          A 1980 Special has slotted brake disks, front axle on the front of the fork sliders, round gauges and signals, 16" rear wheel, 3.97 USG gas tank.
          A 1980 Standard has plain brake disks, front axle at the bottom of the fork sliders, rectangular gauges and signals, 17" rear wheel, 5.3 USG gas tank.
          Note that XS11 parts swap between different years and models like LEGO so as has been posted, you could well have a Frankenbike.
          If this is your very first bike and you have no riding experience, fer chrissake take a riding course.
          Last edited by fredintoon; 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes, it's always handy to know exactly which you have before you get started!
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              3.97 USG gas tank.
              3.97 gallons. Accurate to a table spoon's worth of error, not counting significant zeros of course.

Gotta love Fred!

Also, I would suggest that the OP use the XS/Xj main forum, as they may get more exposure than in the "Other bikes" forum. We aren't elitists jerks around here that bite your head off for not searching and posting in the wrong forum, but posting in the right one will definately help your odds!
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Also there's a thread floating around somewhere that tells the numbers on the side of the carb bodies and which model they go to, that way if you do have a frankenbike that has carbs off of a different model you'll still be able to get the right carb kits. One last thing, I would think you could find a reference somewhere that gives a breakdown on your vin number to tell you as well.
                1980 XS11SG
                Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Just quoting

[QUOTE=Ivan;201207]3.97 gallons. Accurate to a table spoon's worth of error, not counting significant zeros of course.

Hi Ivan,
                  I mindlessly copied the USG number in Clymers. They also say it's 15 litres and if that's true Clymer's rounded out their USG number from 3.9626978.
                  But what with manufacturing tolerances on the one hand and gas pumps that say "volume corrected to 15ÂșC" on the other, the volume of a Special tank is best expressed as " mebbe a cupful short of 4 USG."
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Also check that the frame number matches the engine number. Frame number is on the side of the steering stem. Many of these bikes have had the engines changed out for one reason or another.
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by Lordskeep View Post
                      Hi,

My problem is this...I need to order parts for it like crab kits for one
                      But i'm not sure what make I have of the XS1100 as the left and right
                      side panels are gone.The title reads for the model XS1100G-S and it's
                      a 1980 bike.I have found a 1980 XS1100SG but why is it sg and not gs?

So I would be grateful for some help from you guys on how I can be sure of the make of XS1100 bike I have.
                      This is my XS1100SG if it helps you at all in figuring out yours. Just don't go by my emblems on the battery covers as I used my 81 SH's covers instead. The emblems are different between the '80 and '81. I swapped them because I liked the red more than the maroon after I got both tanks and emblems painted.

Don

currently own;
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by Lordskeep View Post
                        Thanks for the info it helped me alot.From the link you posted I must have the 1980 XS1100G model non non special model that is not the SG.I don't have drilled rotors or two horn buttons Etc.So I'm thinking that the title means a
                        1980 XS1100G and the -S part stands for Standard.

Well thanks for the posts, helped me alot.I'm going to up some pictures of the bike soon...then later the restored pics.

Thanks again Chad
                        I have an 80 SG and there are not 2 horn buttons.Look at the VIN # and go from there.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        xschop K & N air filter setup
                        Dynojet Recalibration kit
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                        X