My XJ650 cafe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My XJ650 cafe project

Figured I ought to post up a couple pics of my daily. Current mods are: clubman-esque bars, no signals. Planned mods are: custom 4-2-1 titanium exhaust (pictured) w/ single right slip on (tomorrow) a custom steel cafe rear fairing, twin 3.5" headlights, 1 gauge(speedo) center mounted, and recessed between twin lights, different, taller tank, bar end mirrors, and clip on bars. Here's the pic of the header mock up:

The header is a 4-2-1 piece marketed by M4 and made of titanium! A pricey item... Originally built for the YZF-R6. But I got it for free at a motorcycle wrecker that I frequent, the 2-1 collector was a bit mangled, so I managed to weld a steel piece in it's place, the weld isn't pretty but it's holding... but I just need to heat up and bend the primaries a bit more for ground clearance, which is what I'll be doing tomorrow along with my build of my new front fender and tail fairing.
    BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
    80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Originally posted by daveyg View Post
    Figured I ought to post up a couple pics of my daily. Current mods are: clubman-esque bars, no signals. Planned mods are: custom 4-2-1 titanium exhaust (pictured) w/ single right slip on (tomorrow) a custom steel cafe rear fairing, twin 3.5" headlights, 1 gauge(speedo) center mounted, and recessed between twin lights, different, taller tank, bar end mirrors, and clip on bars.
    The header is a 4-2-1 piece marketed by M4 and made of titanium! A pricey item... Originally built for the YZF-R6. But I got it for free at a motorcycle wrecker that I frequent, the 2-1 collector was a bit mangled, so I managed to weld a steel piece in it's place, the weld isn't pretty but it's holding... but I just need to heat up and bend the primaries a bit more for ground clearance, which is what I'll be doing tomorrow along with my build of my new front fender and tail fairing.
    Hi Davey,
    no signals? Ain't there laws about that and scads of cops tremblingly eager to enforce them?
    Good luck changing the bends on those Titanium pipes, from the photo the top bends look to come around at least another 15ยบ.
    My experience with Titanium is that it's a stone bitch to work with as it's ductility is just about zero, hot or cold.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yeah, I got them to bend ok, once they got heated up to glowing red it bent just fine. No pics yet, but it should work out nicely. Now I just need to build a nice small slip on. About the no signals thing... It's perfectly illegal if you use hand signals... And no likelihood of getting caught. Cops around here don't even give motorcycles a second look, especially older ones.

Comment

Are you going to change out the seat to more of a cafe style?
        1978 XS1100E Standard
        Kerker Exhaust
        Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
        TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
        Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Well I was planning on building a cafe seat, but now it looks like I'll be selling the bike, so I might change it more back to stock. We'll see how the sale goes... If I can't get my asking price, I'll go back to chopping on it.

Comment

Working...
          X