Got a lead on a Virago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a lead on a Virago

My nephew has an 82 Virago in his shed...
    I have been asked if I want it,
    LOOONNNGGGG story behind it, but the short story is as follows

It was in a storage unit belonging to his mother-in-law, but was owned by the man responsible for her death

Says it's missing the carbs, and tank for sure,
    Not sure what else...may be missing
    unknown what size it is.....

My question is....what should I be looking for?
    I'm thinking probly the same as on an XS but it is a different breed.

I'm looking at it as a possible rider for SWMBO, possible profit if sold, and then last as a part-out...

Thanks in advance, John
    1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
    "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
    My Photo Bucket

Most of those at that year are notorious for the starter lasting about two years tops. More common than the gears on the XS. Ohh..and I think they had a gear issue as well. Search the net for that model and you will find info on these issues, I did when I was looking at some in the fall.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Starter gears are crap. Carbs are hell to get setup, not to mention in and out.

Run away, Runaway FAST !
      Richard

Comment

I bought an 82 Virago brand new. A little over one year from the date I took it home the digital dash stated to act up. It finally quit... So did I.. Rode nice. No tranny problems but then, the electronics ran me off.
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I've had two 82 Virago 750's. Put over 70,000kms on the first. The 750 does not have the digital dash, that's a 920 item.

Both were very reliable, and although not powerful could still out top end a few big cruisers.

The starters were fine, just noisy. I fixed the first one, after 60,000kms, for about $10. The 2nd one never needed it, and it has almost 40,000kms on it.

Other than the V-twin engine the rest is very similar to a maxim.

The virago does not use shims, the valves are set with a set screw, the carbs have no adjustment to speak of. The front brakes (single disc) are not the best (the only bike I've owned that needed stainless lines).

Exhaust rusts out, like they all do, usually the rear cylinder head pipe rusts off the muffler.

Same final drive system as XS, no middle drive. Mono shock Air rear, with air forks up front.
          Last edited by Crazcnuk; 03-03-2009, 03:45 AM.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I had a couple of 82 Virago (XV920J) way back in the day. I really enjoyed them, but don't expect the power of an XS. As already mentioned they are known for starter problems. I believe the fix is to shim the starter, but I never had the problem. Actually, my first Virago's starter made the same sound as a pinball machine makes when you earn an extra game. The digital speedo only goes to 85mph. I would not purchase it if it wasn't super cheap. The starter problems have scared away most of the buyers. There was one here in Milwaukee last year that the owner claimed to be mint except it needed the carbs cleaned with 3,900 miles on it. It took two weeks to disappear off craigslist priced @ $900 if I recall correctly. I wish I had bought it.

here is another:
            http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/1056759700.html
            Dave
            1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Yes, there was too much space between the starter gear and the flywheel. It would work fine for a long time. After a while the edges of the starter gear would wear, opening the gap further. Eventually it would get to the point where the gear would be spinning too fast to engage the flywheel, and/or it would slip.

I replaced the starter gear, for about $10, and put a nylon shim behind the new gear. The bike had, IIRC, about 64,000kms (42,000miles) when it got to the point where I fixed it.

My other Virago has around 42,000 kms now, and has never had an issue.

I always wanted to get the '82 920 Motor and put it in the 750 frame, but could never get the 920 motor.

I sold it last year for $1200CDN.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I have a set of carbs if you're interested, and some other bits.
                I had two of them for a while. I broke one, and parted it out. Gave the other one to my brother when I got the 11.

Other than the starter, they were decent bikes. They handle very nicely get about 40 MPG. Good girl bike because they have a low seat and are easy to ride.
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Got a Lead on a Virago

Try www.viragoownersclub.org or www.viragotech.com .

I bought an 1982 750 Virago last May and put 8000 mi. on it before snow flew. It is actually a FUN bike to ride. I highly recomend them. All bikes have their quirks. Learn what they are and deal with them.
                  I hope the web sites help out.
                  LuckyEddie
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
                  1982 XV750J Virago
                  1976 GL1000
                  1978 GL1000 Supercharged
                  1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

I never had a bit of trouble with the starter ,transmission or anything mechanical.
                    Loved driving that thing in the mountains. Used to tear up highway 88 every once in a while. Torque? You bet. Just had to read the speed from the tach.
                    Had two mechanics at the local Yami shop that loved tinkering with them and they would call me up to se if they could "borrow" the bike to try some new way to tune the carbs or some other combo of timing and the such. Ran like a swiss watch. I'd still have it if it weren't for that dash.
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I have an "82 Virago.I bought it last year for $350.The starter and the starter clutch were bad too.Oh and the ringgear on the flywheel.I got a new 4 brush starter off ebay for $110.,then had the ring gear ,and #2 idler gear ground.There is a guy called Dr. Virago pete that does this.For about $100.
                      I then rebuilt the carbs.And new spark plugs.It runs good now.
                      I think the starters go bad usually because people dont prepare them for storage or keep them in tune. And when they dont start right up it is hard on the starting system.Yamaha definitely could have did better on the starting system.
                      So if you get it running right then keep it tuned up it should be fine for a long time.
                      Right now I have the whole bike apart and am in the middle of painting and replacing seals and stuff.
                      It is super easy to ride with pretty good balance.They weigh a lot less than the XS.So around town are fun to ride.If you can get it cheap I'd say go for it.
                      Viragotech.com is a good place for info on em too.I'm on there some too.
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Checked it out

So its a 1982 MIDNIGHT Virago 920,
                        not the digital speedometer,
                        less than 10,000 miles,
                        not battery, no key
                        carbs are AWOL, as well as tank,
                        someone had placed a rag down the intake,
                        stuck the trans in 1st gear grabbed the wheel,
                        wouldn't turn, 2-3 no turn, hit 4,
                        I sat on the bike, he pulled up on the wheel, turned a little
                        so I told him to oil the cylinders, wait, and roll the tire a little bit every couple of days, until it frees up all the way,

we'll have another go this weekend.....

might wind up parting it out, other than the tank and carbs, its complete, in need of a bath before I can tell what the finish is like on the peices, but they look pretty good now
                        Last edited by renegade_xs11g; 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM.
                        1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                        "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                        My Photo Bucket

Comment

Xv500k

I got this bike for free after it sat on its side in the tall grass for five or six years. It was only made in '83, and some parts, like the petcock, are veeerrry hard to come by. Most other Viragoes are fairly easy to get parts for, as many were made and parts overlap a lot.

The only really sticky issue I've encountered is that just about the only carb adjustment is dependant on float level, and that adjustment is tedious and very precise, as in +/- 1mm as measured from outside the carb. I've gotten it to start and run, but not really roadworthy yet. If you can get the bike more or less for free, it's fun to play with, but if you need many parts, it might be more a labor of love than a practical investment.
                          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

The Virago carbs use an external valve to regulate air, etc. It is very easy to test, and if needed replace.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                            X