• Electric and 150 MPH

Tax rebate coming? Buy this:

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/02/mission-motors.html
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Looks cool, sounds cool.

Reading further in the web site, I see all the major mfgs are developing "e-bikes" I don't get it. Is there really a need?

And I am developing a hatred for the "Green Goblins", those that preach "e"-guilt and offer "e"-sensible alternatives at an astronomical price tag. $69K? no thanks, I'll go get 7 motorcycles and beat the crap out of all the SUV's in mileage, maintenance, etc.

Oh, damn. Now I've gone and made this into a political thread. Sorry. (ducking for cover).

Comment

I am a techno-geek myself, and, being born and raised in SoCal, tend to lean toward the environmentally friendly side of things. I like cool-looking techno toys, and in my book, this passes as one. I have always admired Tesla, and the company named after him. I would imagine that the people running this new company have got a lot of knowledge to make a nice vehicle, but there is that sticker shock thing too...

There is always the practical side too. Where in the heck do you mount the saddle bags and sissy bar/luggage rack on this thing??
      Last edited by CatatonicBug; 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I am guessing it is not a long distance tourer. Besides, if you can afford this thing you can have your limo follow behind with all the luggage.

I believe we need to start now developing the 'electric' infrastructure, so that 40 years from now we can still power certain types of vehicles. I think that is more economic and less political. The "green" effort will keep this rolling.

This bike uses an induction motor which seems odd based on the fact that is is using battery power. It is probably a brushless DC motor or switched reluctance brushless DC. I was in a magnet company years ago that developed some of the first commercial applications of brushless DC motor technology in GM fuel pumps.

What "brushless" means - take the regular electric motor - it has copper windings inside a shell and copper windings around a rotor. The rotor has brushes that contact it and makes it spin when you apply current. That spins and creates power. DC motors can substitute either the windings or the rotor with permanent magnets. If you replace the rotor with a magnet assembly it becomes 'brushless.' Dyson in England have some that are able to spin up to 100,000 RPM.

That is about all I know about it.
        Last edited by MartyA; 02-06-2009, 09:46 AM.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Stupid part is that Electric is not 'clean'.

Electric vehicles just move the pollution to a different area, ie: the power generation stations.

Unless the powere in your area comes from a clean source, charging your electric bike or car isn't clean.

Same thing with hybrids. They still take just as much power to move around, they just offset the charging pollution to wherever the power station is.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

This isnt just about being environmentally friendly...but also energy independant...Tesla was a brilliant man...he was way ahead of his time...Quite obviously this is cost prohibitive to the avg.Joe but it nonetheless is prolly where things will head. If we have sources of energy production that are green then regenerating electric cars will become feasible and more e-friendly
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

But if electricity becomes plentiful enough and clean enough, then Hydrogen is THE fuel of the universe.

H is the most abundant atom in the unverse. It's in the water that covers 2/3 of our planet, and it does not hurt to break it down, then reconnect it over and over.

It has no by-products and it's co-element is oxygen, another eco freindly one.

Hydrogen can be burnt in internal combustion engines to keep our vehicles independant of the power cord and longer ranged.

They have been trying to make electric cars viable for over 100 years.

We just have to get over the fear of the future so we can leave the past.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                But if electricity becomes plentiful enough and clean enough, then Hydrogen is THE fuel of the universe.
                [...]
                We just have to get over the fear of the future so we can leave the past.
                "Oh the humanity!"

Regards,

Scott
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Bikes with pedals are "green"
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Not really. To use one you have to use a lot of muscle power, which, in turn, causes you to need more food, which starts a whole chain of events to create.

Food takes tremendous amounts of machinery, labour and fuel to grow, process and ship.

Why do you think the powers that be are far more interested in making people exercise, instead of just eating less?

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                      Not really. To use one you have to use a lot of muscle power, which, in turn, causes you to need more food, which starts a whole chain of events to create.

Food takes tremendous amounts of machinery, labour and fuel to grow, process and ship.

Why do you think the powers that be are far more interested in making people exercise, instead of just eating less?
                      Just eating less turns you into a 90lb weakling, while working out turns you into Arnold Swartzenegger.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Only 1 in 5,000,000 wants to be Arny, while, according to stats, about 2/3 want to be thinner.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                        X