• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with my first bike :)

hey guys, new to the fourm
    actually iv been a member for like 2 min

im in the prosses of getting my 81 xj650 running
    i know im not an 1100 rider but im workin on it and the 650 is just fine for a first bike(it was free too)

so, iv gotten the shifter return spring replaced(the biggest problem when i got it), undid the ghetto rigged (non fused) main and headlight circits, and put a new battery in it

now it is turning over just how it should, but i cant get it to start, it does backfire once in a while when i crank it over

iv pulled the plugs out and cleaned and cheched spark on all cylinders(4 cyl)
    all good

iv topped up the fuel, with fresh gas and added about an ounce or two of sea foam, and i still can seem to be able to get it to run,

i think next up is to clean the carbs and not haveing a manual to go by really makes me nervous, but i really dont have the money at the moment to take it to a shop

what do you guys sugest i do, or does anybody have the setup specs for the carbs, and if i were to clean them, would i have to syncronise(im sure its spelled wrong) them?

thank you all in advance

billy

Welcome
    That being said,there is a section called other bikes.That is where this thread should be.Just for future reference.
    I would spray starting flid into the intake.Then try and start it.That should make it start for a few seconds.And will tell you if thats the problem.
    If it sat for a while and noone drained the gas, then you should probably pull the carbs and clean them anyway.I would if it were mine.One thing I,ve learned about bikes is,clean the carbs ,replace the plugs and go from there.But all the bikes I buy usually dont run when I first get them.
    And if the carbs are separated from each other when you clean them ,yes they would need sync'ed.Anytime I work on my carbs I check the sync at the end.However, some guys dont feel the need unless it doesnt run right.
    Have fun with the new bike.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Ether, like tarzan said, hit it with starting fluid...it'll tell you more than you know,
      Or, have you had it running before
      1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
      "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
      My Photo Bucket

Comment

Hi Billy & welcome,
        I interpret your post to mean you have never had it running?
        Did whoever gave you the bike ever have it running?
        Can you get a history of when the bike last ran & why it was parked?
        If it was in running condition when it was parked it's most likely the carbs are crudded up from sitting.
        Try this, take the carbs off, squirt ether-based "Quickstart" into all four inlet holes and hit the starter button.
        If the bike fires up in a quick braaaap then quits, your carbs need work.
        The tech tips on this list will tell you how to clean XS11 & XJ11 carbs. I doubt the tech tips will say what the jet sizes etc. are for the XJ650 carbs but "carbs is carbs" and the cleaning tips are the same.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well the bike was free. Guess that's a good thing. Hoping it runs is another. Sounds like carbs to me. If your not into pulling the carbs or what ever the reason may be you can try this. Before you squirt any starting fluid to try to start it. If your carbs have them, on the bottom of each bowl. There should be a screw next to a nipple. Try to unscrew that screw. Don't need to take it all the way out. Just a few turns. After you turn each one, see if gas come out. Hopefully all will dump gas. Now with this done you got all the old gas out of the bowls. Now try to turn the gas on to see if they flow gas out. If they do turn the gas off and let that gas drain. Then tighten the screws back. You said you put a ounce or two of seafoam in the tank. Try to pour the whole thing in. If not just drain some gas to make room. It won't hurt anything to pour it all in. Now with that done and the screws tightened. Turn the gas on. Watch for any leaks. After a minute or two turn the gas off. Let that sit in the float bowls. That will help let it soak in each float bowl. Let it sit for maybe 30 mintues and then try to start it. If it doesn't then try the starting fluid. If you have to use starting fluid it may only run at a high rpm until the seafoam can try to work. If it runs only at a high rpm your mains are open but your slow jets are pluged. They work from idle to somewhere around 3-4 grand before your mains kick in. You'll have to fight with it but it may clear up.

But to be honest with you. Your best bet is to pull the carbs and work on one at a time. That way you can use the others to help you put them back together. It's not that tough. You will need some small tiped flat blade screwdrivers to get some of those jet's out to clean them.

Good Luck!
          Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
          87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
          93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
          71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
          69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Hi Billy,
            I have an XJ650. Incase it is simple The petcock on the fuel tank is automatically opend by vacuum. This simple explanation means you need to prime the floatbowls after the bike has sat for months. To prime move the lever located just below the tank to face towards the rear and wait 92 seconds Move the lever to point to the ground for normal running.
            Reserve is pointing forward. Never leave it in the prime position.
            Hope it is this simple. Keep trying as it is a great bike to ride.
            You should chech the tires very closely before you ride it. Probably need to be replaced.
            Maxim Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Pull em

Bill if you haven't pulled the carb rack already save yourself some grief and go ahead and do it. The Hitachi's are simple carbs but will clog the jets and emulsion tubes from sitting. No mater how much sea foam you run thru it will not be clean unless you scrub a little. Parts are available over on the XJbikes.com web site. When you get them clean and the float levels right they run like rockets.
              wingnut
              81 SH (Daily Ride)
              81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
              81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
              82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
              81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

+1 on pulling the carbs. Only dis-assemble 1 carb at a time and you'll be fine.
                The XJ650's are a excellent bikes(I've had 3) and will run great once you get those carbs cleaned and setup properly!
                Richard

Comment

Working...
                X