XJ 650 Carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ 650 Carb question

I'm having a issue with the Hatichi's on my new XJ 650H. I replaced the needles in the float valves because the oil level would rise in the engine and it smelled of fuel. I set the float levels at the recommended 17.5 mm and checked them using the clear tube method. The levels are dead nuts to the spec. After checking all of the float levels I let the carbs sit in the test rack. After about 3 to 5 minutes # 3 starts overflowing. I've changed the float itself with a spare, checked the float valve gasket, and looked at everything I could think of. Anyone have any ideas? I've ordered a new valve assembly but can't see anything wrong with this one. What could cause the valve to seat that start to leak other than a float filling and sinking? Could a bad enricher seal cause this issue?
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

If they're like the carbs on an 11, the float valve is a press-in fit with a rubber o-ring. If the o-ring is gone, or damaged, it can then leak gas past the needle and seat. I came across this same problem on a friend's older Kawasaki a few years ago, so it seems like a pretty common fault.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Do the float valves have the rubber tips on them ? Might not be seating properly if it's damaged.
      I polished out the valve seat with a Q-tip & polish. Then polished the valve it self.
      Richard

Comment

This thing is still giving me a hard time. The carbs are still leaking static and it looks like they are running lean during operation. The floats are set to spec. I did reseal the intake boots. There was no sealer on the head side and I think they were under torqued. Another discovery was that the PO had installed BPR5ES NGKs. That's 2 heat ranges hotter than stock. Could that have mislead me into believing the carbs were running lean during a chop test? It has turned the pipes a couple of different colors. Don't know if I can ever get them back to the right color. They look like they are off of a late 60s Trumph Bonneville if you remember what they always looked like. I'm still waiting on new needle and seats to correct the static leaks but should have it ready to test tomorrow. I also checked the valve clearances which were within spec. I'm starting to sound like John only its that D@^% XJ instead of a FJ.
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
        X