Leaking forks 07 Honda CBR600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking forks 07 Honda CBR600

Hi guys My nephew owns an 07 honda cbr that he bought in January of 2008 from a dealership. About 4 months ago he said the forks started leaking so he had them rebuilt for $200. The repair was not done at a shop. Two months later they started leaking again. I forgot to ask him where exactly the leaks are coming out of sorry. Could i get a breakdown of some common causes of leaky forks? thanks guys
    1978 XS1100E Standard
    Kerker Exhaust
    Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
    TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
    Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Bikes that use inverted, cartridge style forks are evil.

Forks seals leak when they become old, brittle or worn out.
    Now then...Check the fork tubes (shiney tubes) for pits and raised burrs caused by road rocks/stones hitting them. A rock causes a pit, with sharp raised edges that will tear up a fork seal.
    Real fine grit sand paper can smooth down those edges. Some people run a pair of nylons over their fork tubes.... the nylons will snag on the pits and show you where they are.
    I like running my hands over nylons... but that's another story.
    Some people claim that "Leak Proof" brand fork seals don't hold up when you use air to pressurize the system.

What loser charged your nephew $200 for a job that wasn't done at a shop?
    At least the shop probably would have redone the work if it was their fault in order to retain the customer. (Or at least told the customer that their forks were badly pitted and might not seal.)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I talked to my nephew last night and he told me the guy works at a dealership. The guy did it in-store, probably snuck it in to work on it. So my nephew finally confessed and told me that he low sided and bent the forks. The forks that he gave the guy to rebuild are used that he bought from somehwere. Kinda funny how he just said "oh you didn't know? I thought i told you... I low sided" uh huh....kids....

He says the tubes look fine. It's leaving a streak of oil on the tubes. He says it's not alot. I'll tell him to make the guy replace the seals. Oh and one more thing, he doesn't think that the guy actually rebuilt it like he was supposed to before he installed them!

Thanks for the info Prom
      1978 XS1100E Standard
      Kerker Exhaust
      Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
      TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
      Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Working...
      X