Dual purpose bike choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual purpose bike choice

Francois posts OT to the XS650 site that he could use a dual purpose bike for his work as a forestry engineer. He asks if he should buy a KLR650, a BMW650 single or a V-strom650. To which I have added "other" Anyone here care to give an input?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Customers loved them

Worked on many KLR650's, Fred.
    Just the usual stuff... services, valve adjustments, chains, tires etc.
    Can't recall anything bad about them from a mechanic's point of view.
    Use the same 29mm valve shims as our bikes.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Hi Fred,
      My friend Ron has a KLR650 a Vstrom 650 and a KTM955. Yeah he likes the rough stuff. He says the KLR is the best for the trails and bushwacking the Vstrom is hiis favorite for dirt roads and hardpacked trails . So it depends what conditions your friend will be riding most of the time.
      Oh the KTM is too much of everything too heavy too much power too tall.
      The Vstrom with full knobbies is not pleasant on paved road.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

My X bro-in- law is a bike cop in Albuquerque and they use the KLR's. He loves it. "His" bike had over 20k on it last time I saw him and the only thing replaced was tires and chains. He even chased down a burgler down several flights of stairs in a multi story garage, he caught em.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I have had the XLR 600, KLR 250, BMW F650 and some good hours on a DR 650. I suppose it depends on how much off road time we are looking at. I liked the BMW a lot, however the cost is up there a little bit more than the other bikes and I think if mine wasn't third hand when I bought it I would have had a tough time taking it off the road. Also, depending on how close he is to a dealer, he may have a tough time getting the BMW worked on it if need be. You get more looks with the BMW dirtbike, but its not "really" a dirtbike. The Vstom is really comparable to to BMW but it's also got a better price, especially used. More long distance riding comfort with these two. The Kawasaki has been around for a long time and has a pretty good rep, as well as the fact that the price is really good compared to the other bikes. The other choices are the Honda XR650L and the DR650 if you want the more off road bike in an air cooled model. So IMHO he has decide how much off road time he will be doing and how sad he'll be when he wipes out (($$$), it's a dirt bike afterall. Just my .02.
          Dan

liquid cooled:
          Vstrom (http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suz...m_650_2008.php)
          KLR650 (http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...lr650_2007.php)
          BMW (http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/bmw...dakar_2007.php)
          Air cooled:
          XR650L (http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...650_l_2008.php)
          DR650 (http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suz...650se_2009.php)
          Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
          Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
          while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

I have an 80s model Honda XL500r. All of the modern bikes are tuned for mid to top-end performance, so that's where you'll find the horsepower when riding one. My bike is tuned for low to mid range performance. I am using different sprockets as well. The result is 55mph is as fast as she goes but she'll pull any hill short of vertical, even when riding two up - with ease. Wheelies in 1st and 2nd.... Good gas mileage... Perfect for the kind of trail riding I do. I'd get a 650l for road use, though.
            1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
            1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
            1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
            1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
            1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
            1982 XS650
            1980 XS1100g
            1979 XS1100sf
            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Kawasaki Versys

This bike is a great dual purpose machine...got this link from another m/c forum ...lengthy but very informative reading...
              http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...wasaki-versys/
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Dual Sport

Hey Fred i have 2 KLr's one is an 84 other a 92 i just picked up i love em i go everyplace, one has 28K on it had to do a cam chain and fork seals other only has 6k on it. i ahve no real complaints.

John
                79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                2000 Concours
                84 Kawi KLR600
                79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                79 XR250
                Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                John

Comment

My assistant has a KLR 650, commutes to work with it on occasion and goes off-road, mostly old Jeep trails, with it quite often. He says it has been a reliable bike and works well across a wide range of road conditions.

Another option in an older, smaller bike is the Yamaha DT series. I've been keeping my eye on a DT 400 that is for sale but in rough shape. Guy wants $300.00 as-is. If you do a search on DT 400 you will turn up a couple threads that discuss the DT series.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                  X