1981 Suzuki GS1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Suzuki GS1000L

I've got a guy in my office who can't believe how much help I get off this site. He has 1981 Suzuki GS1000L. The bike had been sitting for awhile and he did a minimal carb clean. He has taken the bike for a few test rides and after 20 minutes of riding (sometimes it does not even happen) the bikes dies. The electrical still works, lights come on bike turns over, but it won't start. After leaving the bike sit for 5 to 15 minutes, the bike will start right up. Then it is ok. At least it has been good enough to get him home. So, any help in diagnosing this problem would be appreciated. Thanks Tom

PS: It is ok to flame him for not riding an XS1100
    Tom

Check to make sure gas cap is venting and there are no kinked fuel lines.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

A freind of mine had one of those, and on his, the charging system was not working correctly.

For his he could ride anywhere, but once he stopped it would not start using the starter. We would push start it (VERY easy BTW) and off he would go, until the next time he stopped.

It was like it made enough power to run, but not to start...
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I had a problem like that with a rx7 I had. It was dumping oil into the combustion chamber when it was driven for awhile. If I stopped the engine it wouldn't start again for an hour or two. Does the bike smoke when he gets it restarted? My car did.
        "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
        "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
        79 XS1100 modified standard
        Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
        pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
        straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
        new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
        Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
        Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
        owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Originally posted by egsols
          Check to make sure gas cap is venting and there are no kinked fuel lines.
          I agree with Ernie. Tell him to pop open the gas cap as it starts to quit.
          http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. I will make a copy of all your replies and give it to him. Something he just told me might help. He is from Utah and pointed out he used to be able to start the bike when it was as low as 30 Degrees back home. He now lives in Las Vegas and he can't start it without ether under 70 Degrees. So, you would think the choke is not working. However, he said that after the bike is warm, he can kill the bike when he pulls out the choke, so it sounds like the choke is working. Anyway, thanks again. Tom
            Tom

Comment

I'd be suspicious that his valve clearances are tightening up, if the gas cap isn't the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X