xs400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs400

Ok, I have a chance to buy an xs400 bobber. Bike runs good, looks like crap, and everything works... enough... anyways- how similar are the xs400 and the xs650 frames? would it be possible to cram a 650 engine in place of the 400? Motor mounts just bolt on- so swapping them out is cheap... I'm getting frustrated trying to find a decent 650 for cheap, so I want to swap the engines.

Thanks.

Hi onefast,

I have not attempted this swap, but I cannot imagine that it would be possible; I have had three 650s. and they are definately "full size" bikes......

My girlfriend ran a (single-cam) XS400 which we turned into a bobber for her. It was a seriously compact cycle once we had lowered it.

I have had both engines stripped, and all of the parts for the 650 seemed much more massive than the 400; the head casting for the 650 is very tall; the 400 is not.

I would guess that the 650 motor would be several inches taller than the 400.

AlanB..... (ex-owner of a GS750 with GS1000 engine, and GS550 with GSX11 motor!)
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Do you have a 650 still? Can you take measurements between motor mounts, and the overall size of the engine?

Comment

Hi OneFast,

Sorry, my bikes have all been XS11s for over a decade. However, there are a few current 650 owners on here, plus a great XS650 site HERE!

Hope that helps!

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

won't fit, no way.

Hi OneFast,
          Buy the XS400 for it's own sake if you want to, it's a nice little bike but no effin' way could you fit an XS650 motor in that small frame. If you really want an XS650 look at Hammerhead's post in this discussion about his friend who needs to sell one.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ok, so I didn't end up getting the xs400. after looking at it and thinking- it's too much money for what it is. I ended up finding a 1979 GS425 inline twin... it needs tires, and carbs. rejetted. Chromes perfect, seat is perfect... I drove it home! There's a cool gear indicator on the "dashboard" and other gadgets and gizmos!

Than a couple days later, My boss asked me if i would be interested in a XS650. YES! It turned out the guy didn't even really want to sell it, but he needs the money to fix his triumph. Bike looks great, seats in perfect shape, new this and that, all it needs is a battery.

I got the GS425 and the XS650 that I wanted for $400 each.

More bikes to add to the list. Can someone say GS425 chopper?

Comment

Working...
            X