Which bike? Boulevard or Sportster ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which bike? Boulevard or Sportster ?

OK I got a buddy that wants a new bike and can't choose between 3 models.....
    Oh, the most important things to him are: comfort is 1st and low maintenance 2nd

Sportster 883, Suzuki C50 or the M50?

Which do you think and why...?

Thanks for all opinions....
    Suzuki Boulevard C50 Black
    40.00%
    Harley Davidson Sportster XL883
    26.67%
    Suzuki Boulevard M50 Black
    33.33%
    1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Anything but the h-d!

Comment

Wifey got an S50 last fall, not a M or C, but I give you my opinion anywho. Not the easiest to work on, but hey, whatever.

I am not impressed with Suzuki's tendency to cross thread fasteners. I had to clean up 5 so far. If I buy another Suzuki, it will come apart to at least the carbs/throttle body before I buy it.

Carbs are a pain to get out, can't adjust the synch without removing the carb from the intake boot.

Motor has good enough power and torque. It's no 11 in that regard. I think it's faster than my softail (like that's hard to do), I was accelerating to like 95-100 to test wheel balance and the wife was catching up.

I like the looks and finish, they seem to have provided lots of little chrome covers for the fasteners and what not. I imagine its the same with the M and C models.
      Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
      '09 Buell Ulysses
      '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

None of the above.
        POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
        THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
        1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Funny...I was looking at a 50T today. This is the 'retro' looking tourer with wire spoke wheels. Is equipped with saddlebags and is shaft drive, comes with forward controls, floorboards, and small windshield.

Over the last couple years I've test-ridden a few bikes, including the 50T. Of the brands, including Yamaha's V-twins, the Suzuki impressed me the most in ride, handling, and brakes. I would take the C50 or M50 over the 883.

Having said that, I still am not a big fan of any of these bikes. I have to look down to much to look at the instrument gauges, which are tank mounted. They still vibrate a lot more than a 4-cylinder, and (stock) performance is, IMHO, not up to the price tags they carry.

On the other hand, the Suzuki brakes and handling are excellent, better than the other twins I've ridden, and far better than the XS. Parts are available off the shelf, and the stock seat/seating position is quite good, although I've not had a chance to test any for more than a demo ride.

Depending on which look you are after, either Suzuki is a better choice than the 883. The 50T is set up more for touring, so I would tend to go more that direction, but mechanically (except wheels) the models are very similar.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.......

Looks like the Suzuki's are the winner...
            1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Comment

Sorry but I disagree. Get the Hd, but instead of a 883, just get the 1200. If you like it you can keep it, if you don't you won't lose your a** off. I had a Sportster (A XLCH,one of the last years)for 17 years and sold her for a 800 $ profit, if you want to call that a profit. In real dollars, I probably broke even or sunk. But like it or not,, you can never loose you butt off by buying a Harley. It's like buying a four wheel drive Ford pickup,, It hold's it value well,,, (well I don't know anymore since the gas has, and will go up) That's why I bought a used Ranger with the 2.3 four banger. lol
              But seriously, HD holds the value, plus, I KNOW (and I am going to get flamed for this, A 1200 Sporty will hang with an XS1100 on a 55 roll on, until about 95, then the Xs will take over Amen.
              If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

Comment

My last bike was a 2003 Suzuki Volusia, the precursor to the C50 Boulevard. I loved that bike. I'd still have it if Mr. Deer hadn't jumped out in front of me one evening....

The seat was nice and wide and the stance was very low. It handled well but wasn't a racer. The top end was a bit poochy but then that could have been my riding skills and uhhhh weight. I was tipping the scales around 240.

The bike was outfitted with stock mid-forward controls that made it nicer to ride too. Maintainance was easy. I agree on the resale value of the HDs though. More demand = higher resale.

The Volusia was a good all around bike' light enough to handle in town and big enough to handle the distance. Personally I would have liked a little more CCs for those long hauls just to reduce the RPM buzz.

I don't know much about the "Bulls" though. They have made some changes since the "Voles"...lol
                Semper Fi,
                Scribe

1981 XS11H

Scribestone Industries:
                ~Turning food into poop since 1963 ~

Comment

ONE WORD...

'09 VMAX!
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

We can kick this issue around untli rapture if we feel the need but, the cat who's buying the ride has to make the decision for himself. who am I to tell someone else what to ride (aren't there enough folks doing that already...i.e harley riders) tell this guy to ride all three, look at them and decide based on what drives him. If he buys based on his likes and needs, he won't be disappointed, regardless of what he buys. have a nice day and ride safe
                    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Depends on what he likes to do. If you like working on bikes, get a HD, any one. If you like to just turn the key and ride, go metric, almost any one.
                      I got away from HD some years back because I got very tired of telling all of my riding buddys "sorry, can't go today, gotta put the carb (or something else) back on the bike". Don't get me wrong, I like HD well enough and yes they hold their value but when I want to ride, I want to ride!!!
                      Having said that, I have discovered that I like tinkering with bikes a lot. That is why I pick up one or two older metric units a year and bring them back to life. I usually put a few thousand miles on them and then sell them. I have had only one fail on a customer after I sold it and that was an easy fix.
                      Just one other point, if he is looking for comfort, a Sportster (any Sportster) is NOT your first choice. I had forgotten that until just a month ago. We were on a ride and one of the guys (who is on chemo) got sick and I drove his Sportster back home for him (110 miles). The Dragon is NOT the worlds most comfortable bike on a long ride but I was sure happy to get back on her!!!
                      The Old Tamer
                      1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

The sporty is not very comfortable. These days the big price drop for Jap stuff has disappeared. two and three year old bikes are still very expensive. I bought my first Harley because I got sick of pissin money out the window with Jap stuff but those days are over. I am one of those guys that likes a different ride often so buying old is ideal for me.
                        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Took my partners 1200 Sportster out last sunday,she likes it. I thought it was nimble in the twisties ,ample power,quiet,rock steady suspension wise up to 90,felt good on it..would I want one ..not really but...other than a few things I didn't like about it..give me a credit card and I would hit the road with it..but I'd rather do it on my 1100:-)

'80 XS1100 SG
                          Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

I had a sportster try a keep up with me recently...what a joke.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

While my old 1100 may stomp this sportster,it did have some heritage behind it...I don't want one but I gave an honest review of it here...

http://www.ridingacrossusa.com/forum...ic,179.45.html

As much as I was looking forward to some wild reaction while riding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlitRhQJpvA

This never happened.........too old I guess:-)
                              Besides how could I wanna ride something else besides this......

'80 XS1100 SG
                              Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Working...
                              X