Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worn cam?

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ent=hdcams.jpg[/URL]

These cams are from my '01 Softail. I am replacing the timing chain tensioners since they are worn to the limit or so called out by the manual. Take a look at the cams and see what you think. I don't have a lot of experience with evaluating internal engine components and was wondering what you all think.

The light gray spots, most prominent on the right cam upper lobe in the pic, is the worst. Is this normal wear for your average cam? It's not shiny like the other areas, but it isn't rough or pitted. It's got about 38k on it. Tappet is a roller type. More than regular maintenance has been performed on the bike.

Should I worry about the gray spots or not? Replace cams? I don't remember my XJ's cams looking like this when I checked valve clearances.

Thanks in advance!
    Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
    '09 Buell Ulysses
    '01 HD softail std - crunched

Maybe thats why the HD won't go 100K??
    Just kidding! It does look as if something is causing the oil to NOT protect as it should, though. It could be the roller AND the cam are both hard, and THAT would cause the wear. Usually, one surface is softer than the other to PREVENT wear like that. Did the valve train come from a single supplier, or did you buy the cams from one company, and the roller rockers from someone else?
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

All factory components so far as I know. It was my late Uncle's bike, I will have to check the records he kept and see if they were changed out. Hasn't been making weird noises....that I could hear over the darn exhaust noise anyway! I'll check back in tomorrow morning, since we don't have this new fangled internet thing out at the ranch.
      Randy

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
      '09 Buell Ulysses

Comment

Only way to know for sure would be to see what the manual says for specs and MIC it.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

when it's all said and done appearance doesn't tell a whole lot other then if further checking is in order. There should be a spec for lobe size and of course plasti-gage for the bearing. if your real concerned about it run the tests. Deminished lobes will reduce how much the valves open.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

The last time I seen anything like this was do to the lack of oil circulation. I seen it on a old Honda 750 I had. Turn out the oil pump wasn't giving enough pressure. I don't know what a HD is set up like but you might want to check oil pressure when you get it done. Now I don't know about this either on a HD but if it does have it you might want to check the oil hole passage ways in the cam holders. It may be clogged up with burnt oil. Cause it did look like the cams in that picture was getting hot.
            Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
            87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
            93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
            71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
            69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Wear, what wear?

Seen lots of HD parts and that doesn't show much wear at all as appossed to most. Low mileage machine?

Someone gonna move this to the "Other bikes forum"?

Done KT
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Looks like all the components are stock, so far as I can tell. I'll definitely check the oil passages for clogging. Rockers are non-roller type all look good. Though two pushrods have a darker color to them at the lifter end kinda like they got hot, but still shiny and smooth though. Lifters appeared okay, no discoloration like the cams, some appearance of slight wear but not anything like the cams

The oil pump also has slightly worn the surface it rides against, so I bet I have an oiling problem.

It seems odd to me that the cams discolored and didn't wear or feel rough.

I checked the service manual, but no luck on cam shaft evaluation. Has everything but that...maybe I'll try the local library. Anybody have any recommendations on books related to engine repair?

Hey Tod, you got any micrometers I can borrow? Unless of course you might be using them right now?

I always wanted a oil pressure gauge on this thing, now I get it! woo hoo!

So, generally speaking, your average cam in good condition on whatever motorcycle should be nice and shiny with no discoloration or anything? That's how I've always thought, but I have little actual experience

I guess I would expect a little patterning where the lifter rides on an engine with 'some' use? Kinda like wheel bearings that have seen some use, but not discolored?

Thanks for moving the thread, I figured it would get to the right place. I wasn't quite sure where to put it since I wanted general information about camshaft wear, but my problem wasn't on an 11.
                Randy

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                '09 Buell Ulysses

Comment

Working...
                X