Introducing Connie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Connie

After a year's worth of debate, I got a Concours to augement the Battle Cruiser and extend his life. (some justification huh? Should have seen what I had to go through with to get SWMBO's approval. I had to get her a $7,000 Husqevarna - Sewing machine)

Anyhow, may I present "Connie" an '02 Kawasaki Concours

Can't wait for the snow to melt and the road to dry...
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

I gotta see a photo of that $7,000 sewing machine!

Comment

It should be here around the end of the month. She ordered it from some sewing outfit and I think it is being shipped from Sweden, can't think of any reason that it would take three weeks to get here.

It can connect with a PC and do designs that you scan in. The program on the PC analyzes the scan, tells you what colors (and Item #) of thread to use, then does the embrodering. She says she can make $$$ with it, so...
      Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

OMG,

I thought you were joking! Still, it's a fair deal, you both got new toys.

Comment

$7K sewing

My ex was a Pfaff (owned by Husky) dealer 'til she went bankrupt. You could have spent a lot more. I was very surprised to learn how many people buy those things. I thought I was going to be able to have a career doing maintenance on them. $75.00 for a 15 minute service plus 100% markup on parts.

You thought getting your bike serviced was expensive!

Congrats on the new bike!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I always thought a Husky should have knobbies and be painted orange, imagine my chagrin...

This is her second Husky, the first was a lot more basic, it has made some nice curtains though...

She was looking at Pfaffs, I don't know why she chose the Husky, brand loyalty maybe. I can't figure her out, she buys cars by color and number of buttons on the dash...
            Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

$7000?

I wouldn't pay that for both put together...

but then my 1969 White sewing machine works just fine!

Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

You'll be pleased with the concours, Papa Gino.
                Fine Machines... no complaints from owners.
                Even I liked them.
                Valve cover is a little tricky to take off... comes out the left side.
                Cam's wear/pit badly, but still remain functional.
                Don't try to replace the mirrors unless you have long skinny fingers.
                Keep the drive shaft spines greased.
                The only oil leak I ever saw was the oil seal for the clutch actuator rod... behind the hydraulic slave cylinder, left side o' tranny(a ten minute fix)
                Comfortable to ride, a great sport/tourer.
                Wouldn't mind havin' one.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

High praise from you Prom. I must have made a good decision. I have been kicking the idea of a Concours around for over a year. I am looking forward to getting out on the road and seeing what she really feels like.

After looking at the maintenance manual and prowling around her in the garage, maintaining her does not seem as daunting with all that plastic as I originally thought.

I am planning to take her out after work tomoorw for a short run and then again on Friday as those seem to be the best two days for weather this week.
                  Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

Ride Report

I have been able to log about 120 miles on Connie since Thursday and the only complete I can find is that the Bars are not real ergonomic fo a 5 foot 8 inch guy though I am learning to adjust my riding position to a more crotch rocket like stance (crouched a bit, arms bent, wrists straight). The cruise control does help that whenever I am in a position to use it (no twisties).

I put 60 miles straight on her today and only had a little discomfort in the glutes. The XS would have me screaming at 60 miles, even with the forward pegs on the highway bars to allow me to stretch. I think the difference is in the saddle, more support.

I have put all the bags on her and she doesn't handle any different. I am looking forward to a little longer ride next Saturday and we will be together going to work at least two days this week...
                    Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

"A friendly reminder... for the viewers at home'

High praise from you Prom.
                      Just remember, I was praising the bike, NOT Papa Gino.
                      (I felt that I had to make that clear, lest people think I'm slipping.)
                      Come to think of it, Papa, I believe all the Concours owners I knew were at or above 6 foot.
                      I also don't see on the bike, those reversable vent flaps for your legs. One way the air stream is pushed outwards and away, the other direction vents the air to keep your legs cool.
                      There are several tricks to adjusting the valves... give me a buzz when you get ready to do that
                      Exercise caution (which is probably the only excercise you get) when removing the bodywork. I haven't yet seen Concours body panels that haven't had the mounting tabs broken off and either Crazy Glued or hot glued back in place.
                      Lots of info on COG, Concours Owner's Group. (I'm sure you've been ther already.
                      If you haven't, here's a link to what your cams might look like
                      http://community.webshots.com/album/...bMyJJb?start=0
                      Like I said, this is extremely common... I even bitched once to Kawi as a warranty issue. They grudgingly sent out replacement cams. (But wouldn't cover my labor) At the next valve adjustment, they looked like the old ones did.
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Blue,

Sweet looking Kawasaki!

Don
                        currently own;
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Re: "A friendly reminder... for the viewers at home'

Originally posted by prometheus578

[...] If you haven't, here's a link to what your cams might look like
                          http://community.webshots.com/album/...bMyJJb?start=0
                          Like I said, this is extremely common... I even bitched once to Kawi as a warranty issue. They grudgingly sent out replacement cams. (But wouldn't cover my labor) At the next valve adjustment, they looked like the old ones did.

Good heavens.... Are those cam lobes not heat treated correctly that they pit & wear like that? Bad metal?

Eric
                          Eric Roellig
                          1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
                          **Very first bike**
                          Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Ride Report

Originally posted by BLUEJEEPLAB
                            I have been able to log about 120 miles on Connie since Thursday and the only complete I can find is that the Bars are not real ergonomic fo a 5 foot 8 inch guy though I am learning to adjust my riding position to a more crotch rocket like stance (crouched a bit, arms bent, wrists straight). The cruise control does help that whenever I am in a position to use it (no twisties).

I put 60 miles straight on her today and only had a little discomfort in the glutes. The XS would have me screaming at 60 miles, even with the forward pegs on the highway bars to allow me to stretch. I think the difference is in the saddle, more support.

I have put all the bags on her and she doesn't handle any different. I am looking forward to a little longer ride next Saturday and we will be together going to work at least two days this week...
                            Welcome to the club...I bought my '98 Connie about a year ago after coveting one for years. Still have the XS11, ridden maybe 5 times since Connie came home, but not planning on selling the old girl any time soon.

Look very seriously into bar risers...I'm 5'10" and it makes a HUGE difference. Yes, the seating position is a bit (actually, a LOT) different, and it does take a bit of getting used to how much closer together the grips are compared to an XS, esp. the standards. The stock seat is quite good, but I had a Russell seat made anyway (I have one on the XS also, best thing since sticky tires). It usually raises the seat height another inch or so...then you'll REALLY want those bar risers.

An Audiovox CC-100 electronic cruise control is also a very popular add-on if you spend any time at all droning down the slab. The Connie does send quite a bit more vibes through the bars, and it sure is nice to relax that throttle hand. The Connie does want to be revved more than the XS anyway...it blows me away, now that I have a comparison, how tractor-like the XS torque curve truly is--remarkable even to this day. I also have a Throttle Rocker I put on in the twisties, but who's thinking about vibes then?

The COG forums are excellent...very much the same quality people as here on this forum.

Surely you've heard of Gary Murphy by now? He's a huge supplier of OEM and aftermarket parts for the Concours, many of them researched and designed by himself. Check out: www.murpskits.com

Good luck...hope you enjoy Connie half as much as I have so far.
                            Tom Hunt
                            Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
                            1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Comment

Murph's is awesome, now I know where Connie got some of the cool things she has. I think that SWMBO will be a little torqued at me on payday. Just a hunch...

I do have the Audiovox Cruise and I am getting used to it. I got a Cee Bailey 25 inch to replace the 21 inch windshield and the lack of buffeting has made a big difference. The 21 was catching me right at eye brow level. SWMBO reports NO wind buffet from the Pillion now.
                              Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

Working...
                              X