I have a confession to make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a confession to make

First I put HD Dyna mufflers on my 79 Special as the old Muffs were rotting off. I had to cut the old Dyna pipes to give me a couple of stubs to slide over the XS pipes. I had to grind the lip open a bit, but they went on after a struggle. Got the muffs on, fabbed a hanger and drove to the exhaust shop and had them welded up. I lost my Xover, but it runs better than it did with all the holes.
    This was 3 weeks ago. Went for a ride with a good buddy who gave me the pipes when he upped his. The 11 was running like a top, nice and snappy and left him in the mirror more than once. He was riding 2 up, but it isn't much quicker solo. Well that day we ended up at the HD dealer. I must admit I have wanted a Harley since I was a kid. The price was always out of reach before. Not anymore! Thanks in part to some unexpected money, I broke down and did it...........
    I bought a '06 Dyna Wide Glide with fuel injection and I am now content-for now. It is a totally differant ride than the XS and I am still getting used to the idea of two bikes outside that belong to me (3 if you count the Aero 50) . I Am still riding the XS also as I like its versatility. I don't like staying in one position all the time and that does bother me about the HD's. I found the Buell even more uncomfortable when I sat on it( I'm 6'3")
    It is nice to just tool around on as I don't have to fill up as often, but for any distance riding, I'll take my 11 any day of the week.

On another note, there is a new cycle shop in Seattle that advertises turning old metrics (60s & 70s) into cafe style bikes. My roomate saw the ad. the wed address is twinlinemotorcycles
    1979XS100SF
    2007 Dyna wide glide
    Too many dodge trucks to list!

"I'm ashamed to know you."

Does this also now mean that you're gonna stop bathing and shaving?
    Or are you more the doctor/stockbroker Harley rider who only does that on the weekend?

I'd congratulate you on your new bike, but I don't know...
    It's hard when friends hit the downward spiral.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I knew I would hear about it from you Prom!! I would have been disappointed if you didn't flip me some cra*
      As for bathing and shaving, I only shave twice a week anyway. I do have to bathe more than that for I cannot stand my own noxious emissions for long.
      Ride only on the weekend?? What is the purpose? I went riding last night and didn't get home until after 8pm. It was a bit chilly and I was glad to get home. If I want to ride much before july, I need to invest in something to cut down the wind. I'm thinking of getting windscreens for both bikes as that is cheaper than thick leather. Have you been riding much since the rains went away?

The main reason I bought it is twofold. First, like I said I have always wanted one. Second was to rub it in a few old girlfriends faces who thought I was to "thrifty" to ever do it. Mostly the first one, the second reason was just a bonus to see the look on their faces
      Revenge is a dish best served cold. I don't know why that is stuck in my head
      1979XS100SF
      2007 Dyna wide glide
      Too many dodge trucks to list!

Comment

Originally posted by johnboi71
        Revenge is a dish best served cold. I don't know why that is stuck in my head
        Hey Johnboi,

Probably because you're a trekkie as well! StarTrek II, the wrath of Khan!

Well, I'll congratulate you! I, too, had had my eye on a Harley ever since I was a youngster. While I was in Japan with the Navy, I was looking at getting an HD FLXR or something like that, a sportster style machine. BUT, I got severe sticker shock finding that for $700 more than what the HD cost, I could have bought a Jeep CJ-7!

So....I then found my 81SH that a fellow sailor was selling, and that's the end of that story!

I'm 6'6" myself, and the XS looks like a minibike under me! I've made some mods to help in the leg room department, and I hope to do some more cosmetics to get it looking a bit more than a fancy RAT bike!

I have to say, I've ridden an HD thanks to Brent's graciousness, but I've been spoiled by my XS11's performance, and at least right now, I couldn't tolerate a reduction in acceleration and overall power and performance! Perhaps one day when I'm really old....(just turned 50 ), I might be able to enjoy a CRUISER style of riding, but I just can't keep my right wrist that still that long!

Does this mean you'll get one of those bumper stickers for your XS saying your other bike is an HD?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Congrats on your new toy. I to have been often tempted with the new bike bug though mine drifted the other direction. FJR, ST, KR I have often envisioned parked in my garage. My bro-in-law just bought a HD Fat Boy, xlch, temp, rpm, ekg, somethin with a bunch of letters after it. I must say it was a comfy ride and I will never fess up to the scratches on the bottom of the primary drive cover. HD is certainly a much different ride than my XS, or any other bike I have owned. But I hold no malice to the HD rider. A ride is a ride, and just get out and ride!!!! My boatin buddies cast a scornful eye on the Bayliner (aka, Trashliner) owners much like ricers bash HD's. But just like bikes, it floating and running so lets go!!! I hafta admit, I have yet to have a bunch of scantily clad, nubile young lasses gather around around my full dress XS. Best I get is a bunch of old guys talking 'bout how fast the XS was, I usta have one, ect, ect, ect. I tell its still fast and I still have one. Ride on!!
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
          X