another rd200 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another rd200 question

so the engine is all siezed up and i have a guy saying he will sell me the engine from a CS3 that says will fit for $100, or the complete bike for $150. Two questions...1-- will the engine accually fit? ansd 2--if it does, does anybody want to buy the rest of the bike? thanks -Joe
    1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
    1974 RD200
    1975 xs500
    1985 Honda XR350

Hi Frogdink,

It MIGHT fit (or might not; I don't know!) but it is certainly different; CS3 is piston ported; RD has reed valves, and is a far more refined beast. I don't know what era your RD200 is, (or if the USA versions were the same as ours??) but the later 200s had an electric start via a reversible "dyno-start", and is the only bike I have ever worked on - APART FROM THE XS1100!!!- which has a vacuum advance mechanism.

CS3 has none of these.

I would suggest that if repairing a two-stroke twin is difficult for you, the adaptions to fit and wire a different engine may also be a problem?

AlanB
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

yeah thats a good point. my rd does have the electric start. so what does a person with a little mechanic ability but no knoledge about this engine do to free a connecting rod that wont move? pistons are off, its just one rod as far as i can tell thats not letting this thing move freely. im trying not to take apart more than i have to on the engine because i dont want to be stuck with a bunch of parts that i dont know how to put back together. thanks alot for all your help. -Joe
      1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
      1974 RD200
      1975 xs500
      1985 Honda XR350

Comment

Hi F-D,

I assume you have had other posts about your problem, but I have missed 'em; What is wrong with the engine you have..... you mentioned a "stuck Rod"...

Do you have a proper manual for the bike? I did some work on those, but it was a loooong time ago (around '78??) so the detail is a little fuzzy....... I seem to remember that they have a vertical split crankcase with a seperate carrier for the centre main bearing...... A pig to work on compared to the 250/350 horizontal split arrangement. If memory fails me; tell me!

Nice bikes when they are in good condition..... so long as you are around 5'6"...... or less.

Hope some of this helps......

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
        X