Title info for US/CA Frame Imported into UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title info for US/CA Frame Imported into UK

Alongside my two XS1100's, I also run an '84 Interceptor 1000 (VF1000FE over here)

Because spares are getting rare for this bike too, I just bought another spares bike... Well, I bought it's corpse really...

I have four boxes of useable parts and the frame... BUT, I can't use the frame here in the UK, 'cos the bike was originally sold for the USA or Canadian market and I have NO paperwork AT ALL...

I spoke to a "beurocridiot" at the Driver & Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA - Same as Your DMV, but National, not State specific...) He told me I need "Documentary Evidence" of the vehicle's origin and year of manufacture...

I told him that Origin & DOM can be taken straight from the VIN and other frame decals, but he was having none of it... I need info from USA (or Canadian) DMV and/or Honda USA to prove origin...

Why am I bothering..? Well, it turns out that the Frame is from an Interceptor, built in April 1984, so within the first 2 months of production... I also have MANY Interceptor parts - maybe enough to get the bike built back up and running..??

So... Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get title info from the VIN..? Or which Honda USA Dept to make enquiries to..? (I tried their website - not much to go on there, but they do have a "heritage" page for the VF700/750 Interceptor here: http://powersports.honda.com/the_sto...estone+Archive

All Info Gratefully Received...

Miti
    One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
    • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
    • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
    • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
    • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

No idea about the US, bu there is no such thing as 'documention' of a VIN number, in Canada.

We don't use 'titles', as in the US. The VIN IS the documention here. The VIN is the be all and end all of motor vehicle identification.

We get registration here, to drive on the road, but Registration just proves you paid for your licence plate, and that you own the said vehicle.

When we go in to reigster any vehicle all we need is a Bill-of-Sale with the VIN number on it. The Motor Vehicles Registration office does a search to see if the vehicle has been reported stolen or written off or whatever.

For a Bill of sale, we can go outside, write one up on a napkin, have a friend sign it (so the signatures are different) and go back in and, as long as the VIN search shows nothing, we are registered.

The whole Bill of Sale thing is a real joke.

I have a 1973 GT750 that does not show up in the VIN registry anywhere in Canada. So to register it I have to have it safety inspected, and then they will register the VIN in the database.

I assume the bike came from the US, originally, and has never been registered here, even though it has been in the country far at least 20 years.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk
      No idea about the US, bu there is no such thing as 'documention' of a VIN number, in Canada.

I have a 1973 GT750 that does not show up in the VIN registry anywhere in Canada. So to register it I have to have it safety inspected, and then they will register the VIN in the database.

I assume the bike came from the US, originally, and has never been registered here, even though it has been in the country far at least 20 years.
      Hi Crazcnuk,
      I note your use of They WILL. Let us know when you have actaully achieved this. In Ontario as described you only need a VIN and Bill of Sale. Behind the scenes though the Manufacturers have registered those VIN numbers. IF the Model was never been imported to Canada they will not have registered it's VIN. Good Luck I hope it works for you.
      Maxim Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

They have already told me they would add the VIN to the database, but, as usual, you have to have insurance, and as with any vehicle that has never been registered in Alberta, it has to undergo an out-of-province safety inspection.

Problem is, the closest shop that can do an inspection, on a motorcycle, is 50 miles away, and I have to do a few things to the bike before it would pass.

This is a 1973 motorcycle. The only VIN, in Canada, that was close was for an International Harverstor Tractor in Quebec. (same series number, different first 3 digits)

I got the GT from a guy I knew, here in Hinton. They (brothers) bought the bike for thier father to use on the farm for going back and forth to the fields. He never mentioned that it came from anywhere else, so I can only assume that they bought it, new, and just never registered it. It sat in the local CATV yard here for many years.

If I ever run into him, I can ask about all this, but he no longer lives in the province.
        Last edited by Crazcnuk; 02-08-2008, 06:20 PM.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Inquire with this guy and see if he can help, he says he does business all over the world:
          http://www.its-titles.com/index.htm

I have done business with him before and give him 2 thumbs up.

Comment

Working...
          X