87 Goldwing with sticking brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Goldwing with sticking brake

I have an 87 Honda Goldwing that sat for a few years. I have changed the fluids and the bike runs well other than needing a carb cleaning.

Anyway, the left front brake is sticking. I rode the bike around the block and everything was fine. I parked it and came back a few days later to move it and it will barley move. Nobody had touched the bike or the lever.

I had noticed the same thing after storing the bike for a few weeks after I first got it. I had to open the bleeder valve to relieve the pressure.

I know it's the left front as when I open the bleeder the bike will move freely.

This does have integrated brakes.

Any thoughts on how a brake can get stuck with no lever action?
    1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
    1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
    1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Remove the caliper, clean it up, inside and out, reinstall, then bleed out the air.
    If that's the only brake dragging, that should do the trick.
    I would suggest that if it does fix your problem, do all the brakes.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Is it common for a brake to stick with the pedal being used? It just seems wierd to me that it would lock up with out being used. I had this problem on my XS but only when I tried to use the brake.

Maybe it's possesed and this is just another good reason for me to sell it and put the money into the 11!

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

If that is the ONLY caliper the front brake hits, you will need to clean the "splooge" hole in the MC. Do a search, and you will find the information on this site. It's probably caused by the old rubber brake lines failing internally. Little bits of the rubber break off, and migrate to the MC.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I also had an '81 'wing that the brake lines had deteriorated inside to the point where they were collapsed. THAT bike would lock the front brakes when the temperature changed! New lines all around cured all!
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

One more reason for me to not like this bike.

The brake line seems to make sense to me know as it did happen after a temp change.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

I got the new stainless/teflon lines with different end fittings you buy seperately (any motorcycle place can get these). They are great quality and easy to use. I eliminated the splitter on the front fork, rather, running both lines all the way to the MC...

Never had a problem after that. That wing's made many miles cross this nation since...(it's actually in my garage at the moment, needing a seal in the rear drive). Not bad for 27 years...
              CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer
              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
              X