Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help. 86 Goldwing

Just picked up a 86 goldwing. what I know

bike sat outside for a year without a cover or seat. Bike has 12,000 miles motor seams to be froze. airbox has water in it.
    Bike body wise in great shape

What am I looking at to get the motor going? Bike was free just trying to deside to fix or part. would like to fix if the cost is not too great.

thanks
    Matt
    68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
    76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
    79 special (skull bike)
    79 special (parts bike w/title)
    79 special
    80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
    81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
    81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
    80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
    81 650 maxim
    81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
    88 Zx 600r (Sold)
    01 Gz 250

First thing is to pull the plugs and get some penetrating oil in those jugs, let it sit for awhile cuz ya probably got a little rust goin on.
    While it's sittin, empty the water from the bike, Check your tank. Smell the fuel. If it smells like varnish ( which it probably does ) you'll need to clean all that garbage out. Squirt some more penetrating oil in the jugs,,,, Put the bike in 2nd gear and rock it lightly ( without the plugs ) Squirt more penetrating oil. Rock er some more. In doing the rocking thing, listen for any solid clanking. If you hear anything that sounds solid, Stop rocking the bike cuz ya got more goin on then just a little rust in the jugs. I forgot to mention that ya might want to make sure the brakes work cuz if the motor does break free when rocking it, yer gonna wanna use em.
    If I believe right, awhile back, there was a thread about unlocking a locked up motor. Ya may want to do a search and see if ya can find that..
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

86 wing

Hi Matt,

Marvel Mystery oil works good as a penetrating oil. Let it sit for a long time; days, weeks, weeks to soak in & free up rusted parts.

Good Luck wrenching. That should keep you busy for part of the winter.

Honda goldwing Association has a section for vintage or old wings. Those folks there are quite knowledgeable about old wings. Friendly bunch too.

Brent in Ga
      It is a great big beautiful world out there
      Brent in GA
      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
      X