Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daimler-Chrysler in the motorcycle business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daimler-Chrysler in the motorcycle business?

Dodge Offers 500-Hp Concept Motorcycle
    Mon Jan 6, 4:28 PM ET

DETROIT (Reuters) - The Detroit auto show has seen a lot of concept cars over the decades, but a four-wheel motorcycle powered by a 500-horsepower V-10 engine is a first. And it may turn out to be more than a concept.

Daimler-Chrysler AG's (NYSECX - news) (DCXGn.DE) Chrysler arm on Monday unveiled the Dodge Tomahawk -- essentially the 8.3 liter engine from a Dodge Viper mated to a motorcycle frame. Chrysler executives said while the chrome-draped Tomahawk was outlandish, they were seriously considering whether to build a few hundred at a price of at least $250,000 each.

"This is for people who are passionate about engines," said Chrysler Chief Operating Officer Wolfgang Bernhard, who rode the Tomahawk on stage during a media preview. "A motorcycle is the most beautiful way to showcase an engine."

The 1,500-pound Tomahawk can reach 60 miles an hour in about 2.5 seconds, and has a theoretical top speed of 300 mph. Each pair of wheels is separated by a few inches and each wheel has an independent suspension. Bernhard said four wheels were necessary to handle the power from the engine.

Chrysler executives said if the Tomahawk were put into production, it would draw attention to the Dodge brand in ways no ordinary sports car could. Bernhard said a decision on whether to build the Tomahawk could be made in several months.

Is this crazy or what?
    Bob Udy

Looks like another collectors item for Jay Leno!
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

OK, so we have the acceleration of a ZX12R, handling, weight and fuel consumption of a locomotive, looks of a... hmm.. I think it IS the ugliest thing I've ever seen... The only nice thing is the engine, and even that one I'd put in a car...
      There's no end to human stupidity... some ppl r just born bored and with too much cash.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Re:v-10 cycle

Definitly a case of too much money and but little time. This leads to a $250,000 machine that does 300 mph. Or maybe it just means that the rich can die quicker than us po' folks.
        J.D."Jack" Smith
        1980G&S "Halfbreed"
        1978E straight job
        "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Come on......what a crap bag. How do you steer and or control something with 4 wheels that close together? I do respect the time and money that went in to it, but the guy does not even look comfortable.........two thumbs down! $250K...that would only be $200,000 profit on each one (counting the engineering).
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Imagine sitting over that engine on a 95 degree day.
            Your statistics do not apply to me, you see, I'm an individual, not a population.
            Tim Weaver
            tweaver@mei.net

Comment

having thought about it, they might have went with 4 wheels because there are no tyres made for a bike that can cope with the weight/power ?even valkarie's and hayabusa's need reinforced tyres! the suspension alignment must be similar to a "leaning" sidecar (the ones that bank with the bike)? .you shouldnt critisise this as it may be crap as a bike,but it may help development of other bikes,coping with power,weight etc.hey they might even start manufacturing bikes? triumph have a 2.2litre triple cruiser meant to be in production soon ??? people laughed at the xs 1100 et all "its a car with two wheels" was a popular comment at the time.now with bikes getting bigger our xs's are becoming middleweight cruisers! with plenty of engines in the 1.5L to 1.8L capacity widely available,maybe they will make a nice little 3L v8 model? dodge viper-wing anyone?
              mick
              xs1.1s(x2)
              gsxr1100(1127)
              gsx1100g(x2)
              trophy900
              bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Probably went with 4 wheel set-up to deal with engine torque, which would otherwise lay the bike on its side during hard acceleration....(tounge firmy in cheek)

I like to see concept vehicles, be they cars, trucks, or bikes. Aside from the price, the engineering is always interesting. Bring 'em on!
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Damler-Chrysler....errrr

Forget bikes.......They also do Roller skates

http://www.thesmartcar.com/smart4b.jpg

Smart cars are gettin a bit popular in this part of the world - must be the London traffic

Designed by Swatch, 600cc turbo Merc engine, produced by....yep Damler-Chrysler

What is the world coming too - now if we shoe-horned an XS11 engine in one......
                  XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                  Guzzi 850
                  Z1000

Comment

Working...
                  X