Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damn my luck! Somebody just gave me a free Virago!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn my luck! Somebody just gave me a free Virago!

As if two bikes I already own are not enough to occupy my time!

But seriously, I guess the only issues are that it got dumped and needs some cosmetic help, and that somebody yanked the starter for a better Virago that needed it.

I know that the Virago is said to be notorious about having starter problems, but I have no idea about what the issues are.

So, my questions are; how hard is it to install a starter in a Virago? What are the problems with them? What might I expect to pay for a used but functional starter, and finally, can the bike run with no starter installed (push started)?

I just have zero experience with them, and zero experience with anything beyond a single, inline twin, and inline four cylinder bike. I also know some bikes require an engine pull and splitting the case to install starter and related parts, and I know that very few if any bikes can be run without at least a dead starter occupying the place where a good one should be. Thanks in advance!

Take a look here, for tons of Virago info, especially the starter issue. But overall, considering that the Virago is a V-Twin, it is still a good bike. Except for the 920, with its computer diagnostic center. PITA!!!!!

http://www.drpiston.com/
    Jim Horton
    Myrtle Beach SC 29588
    843-274-5045

Comment

C'mon, c'mon, details. We want details....

I have owned 2 '82 750 Viragos. One I still have. I put over 80,000kms on the first one. Current has only 34,000kms.

The starter is pretty easy to replace, if it's the '80-84 style. Three are a couple of other minor things to do when you do replace it. The early viragos had a notorious starter system. Noisy, grindy and prone to slippage, but fairly easy to fix.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The starter is a cinch to replace. The issue has been crappy engagement with the starting ring gear, especially with a weak battery: It partially engages and grinds itself up rather than starting the engine. There are shims and rebuilds and magic spells available on the net to fix it. A new starter and good battery usually solve the problem.

Mine is a formerly homeless XV500, made 1983 only, so parts are not readily available. Fortunately, the only thing it really needs is a mechanic with more skill than I have...
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

When I fixed my first one, I took a good look at how the whole system works. After a while it makes no difference if you have a good battery or not, it will start to turn the engine, then slip, spin and grind. Eventually, it just slips and grinds.

The main problem is there is too much space between the starter gear and the flywheel. The starter gear gets too much of a head start and is spinning already before it engages.

I replaced the worn starter gear, and shimmed it closer to the flywheel. I used the nylon washer that goes between a VW beetle (old style) window crank handle and the door panel, but you can use anthing you like to take up about 1/16th of an inch of the space in there.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Here, try this:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=016

I hear this magic spell works. Check his Feed Back, lots of happy customers, seems this is the only parts that he sells.
            Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X