Bought a Kawasaki Voyager yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Kawasaki Voyager yesterday

So, after the Talimena tour, and 1500 miles, I decided that I had to quit just talking about it and go find a touring rig.

I looked at the usual suspects, FJR, Concours Goldwing and the price point was just not at where I wanted to be right now.

So I left the idea alone. Then SWMBO and I went to Houston to look at some riding apparel (Joe Rocket ballistic stuff) and accessories for Packmule, but didn't find much.

Bagger Dave calls and asks me to swing by the Suzuki shop and grab exhaust doughnuts for his new Hayabusa exhaust on my way over to his house.

Well they had to order what he wanted, so we started to walk out but we wanted to split a cold soda before we left, and I had to step around this green tourer to get to the soda machine.

It was a 1998 Kawasaki ZG1200B Voyager XII and looked in pretty good shape for 26,900 miles on it.

SWMBO looked at the passanger seat and said, "Hmm, bet that would be comfortable." I said, "Yeah, it sure would."

So, a sales guy walks past us to get a soda from the soda machine, and asks if we need any help. I said, not really, just wondering what this rig goes for?

He said he would find out and let me know. He came back a few minutes later and said, "$4,495.00."

WTF? That's seems cheap, I thought. He asked if I wanted to buy it. I said that I wasn't really looking for a Kawasaki. He said, "Here's the keys; go take it up the I-45 and see what you think, if you don't like it, that's cool. Nothing to lose, right?"

So SWMBO climbed on the rig and I could hear her "groaning" with pleasure as she got situated on the rear seat, well rear sofa!

We took it up a few exits and brought it back to the dealer. 1 1/2 hours later, paperwork done, and I go pick it up Tuesday.

S%!t, I was not even looking for a bike yesterday!

I wonder if it will tow an XS11 on a trailer....

Its name is Kermie (Obvious reference to Kermit the frog. Its not easy being green)

the peace frog. (An obscure reference to a clothing line we discovered in Hot Springs Arkansas. )

PeaceFrogs

greg
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Well, so ya bought a luxo rig. The equal to to a Lazy Boy on wheels. Full fairing, plush seat, cockpit layout that would rival the space shuttle, power to pass and ya didn't break the bank. I'll bet that was the most expensive clothes shopping trip you will ever make. I did the same thing when I bought my boat. So, I guess the snide jokes about stopping every 80 miles for fuel are gone. And your profile from the rear won't look like a Samsonite commercial anymore? I am gonna tell ya now, were drawing the line on the matching, pin laden riding vests. Not even gonna rib ya for buying a Kawasaki. I am confident your XS will maintain its hollowed place in the garage. Can't say I haven't been kinda looking for the same kind of rig. I guess its an age thing. I can rememember when I would not even consider a bike unless it had clip ons, or a car with four doors. Now, wheres that Sunday paper, I coulda swore I saw a Venture in the bike ads.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Quote:
      Bought a Kawasaki Voyager yesterday

Cool, I'm sure you will enjoy it, they are nice bikes.
      How about a picture of it?

Comment

Pics coming soon..

No, Keoke, feel free to continue with the 80 mile fuel ribbing. All the smokers still love me!

Wait 'til you see "Bagger Dave" and the shameless hussy! Talk about bags, OY!

I am picking it up Tuesday or Wednesday. I will post up some pics when I get home.

The XS will always be my favorite bike. I have 28 years of memories on XS's; that will never go away.

I will ride the XS during the week and for short rides. Maybe the bagger on long trips, like Talimena and the Hill country.

greg
        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Maybe the bagger on long trips, like Talimena and the Hill country.
          Had this conversation this morning... lol.

SWMBO... " Now what are you looking at Hot Springs for?"

Me.... "Planning my next road trip!"

SWMBO.. Rolls eyes and says "Pffft!" lol.

Got the fever already again! I guess a working bike would help first.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Working bike?

Do what I did. Go out to buy groceries, clothes, etc, and come home with a bike.

Go get that GW that you showed me. Its running, right?

That way, you have a bike to ride while yours is in pieces.

Now I can start planning the rebirth of Packmule...
            1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Do what I did. Go out to buy groceries, clothes, etc, and come home with a bike.
              Works best if add that is was "on sale" and I saved a bunch of money!!!

mro
              BTW,
              was one of SWMBO's favorite sayings after a shopping trip.

Comment

"I wouldn't mind havin' one."

Can't recall having too many problems working on these beasts.
                Interesting "2-stage" center stand.
                Pain changin' plugs, but so what.
                Keep an eye on the rear speakers. They have a tendancy to dismount themselves.

Here's your new home....
                http://www.amervoyassoc.org/
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Yep been there, gonna join when I get it home

Thanks for the info, Pro. If anybody would have some experience with this beast, I knew it would be you!

I didn't play with the centerstand yet. I already bought the shop service manual, its supplement and the audio manual.

Now I'm looking at progressive front springs and rear air shocks. I might as well buy the seals and dust caps for the front now.

Also plan on changing the front brake lines to Braided stainless steel. Do you have a preference about whether to leave the splitter under the triple tree, or run both lines up to the master cylinder?

greg
                  1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

A pic of a Voyager

Here is a pic I snagged from Cycletrader. It is the same year and color scheme as my bike:

Mine looks this good too, minus the air horns!

greg
                    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

WOW great bike!Looks downright comfy!A Barcolounger on 2 wheels!Congrats and good riding tooIt does look a bit heavy...whats' the weight?
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

COOL! It even has those dorky fog horn you had on your 11 last year!!!

Seriously dude. You're gonna love that bike. The Voyager was one of the best big rig toring machines built. I'm not sure why the Kawboys dropped it.

Have fun.

Comment

ROFL

Very Funny Cody! Yeah, they were goofy! My Voyager doesn't have those air horns, but I'm gonna put a Sebel air horn soon.

Got it home yesterday, man what a ride! Is it possible to be getting 50 MPG? We'll see.

I do like, nay, love the ride! Smooth and POWERFUL!! This thing really moves even though is weighs a 796 lbs.

Pics tomorrow.

greg
                          1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Some Voyager pics

OK, here is my newest acquisition. $4,495.00 with 27000 miles on it. Its a 1998. I am at the dealer in this pic. Notice the Mules.

Here is my son looking at the Voyager. He drove me down to the dealership. He's an awesome son!

We stopped at the Woodlands Mall so SWMBO and Drew could go look for stuff for him, while I wired in my intercom system. Oh yeah, that's my Honda Accord parked behing the Voyager.

I have a Starcom1 Advance intercom that I use on Packmule. It is awesome! The Voyager has a built-in intercom, but I have to buy headsets to connect to their pigtail. The headsets are about $190 per helmet. Also, I would have to buy two more helmets! Yikes. Starcom will sell me another "upgrade" unit for less than I would pay for the helmets and new headsets. So, I am thinking I may go that way, unless I can find or make adapters for my existing headsets.

Well, gonna go riding. You all have a great weekend!

greg
                            1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Working...
                            X