1974 RD200....Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 RD200....Problems

ok, so i bought the bike for $200, so im not that upset yet. the engine will not move. when i first got it, with a new battery i put in it, when i would try to use electric start, (kickstarter stripped) it would just click. so i took off top of head and pistons will not move at all. i have covered them in liquid wrench a number of times, i have tried heating them to no avail eaither. i am using a wooder thingy i made to lighty hammer them but they wont budge.....my question to the experts is.....what next. With my XJ1100 my problems were mostly easy, so this is all new to me. everything i have done so far on the rd200 has been the first time i have done somthing like that, as far as taking things apart, so any advice would be great in terms i can understand. thanks again everyone. -Joe
    1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
    1974 RD200
    1975 xs500
    1985 Honda XR350

By the way....

im not trying to get the bike started so i can ride it right off, i just want to know that it will run again, before i tear it apart. my plan is to take it right down to the frame, once i am convinced it is worth it.
    1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
    1974 RD200
    1975 xs500
    1985 Honda XR350

Comment

Try to get the barrels to go up, rather than the pistons. You may have rust in the transmission or crank, so it won't turn. IIRC, the 200 had needle bearings, and they could be rusted solid. If that is the case, it WILL come apart, but NOT in the normal way.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

?

ok so i got the left side barrel off. the other piston is definetly stuck. any ideas. have tried heat and liquid wrench.....
        1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
        1974 RD200
        1975 xs500
        1985 Honda XR350

Comment

Try heating the pistons with a propane torch then when they are cooling down pour some automatic trany fluid over the top of them. Let it set over night then warm the sides of the cylinders and try to work the cylinders off the pistons. So long as there isn't deep, crusty rust, this will get it apart without damage.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
          X