Modern Marvals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Marvals

Here is a movie for you technical people. I didn't know that Honda was so technicaly advanced back in 1973.

A neat way to waste 20 min of your life.
    http://world.honda.com/HDTV/history/1973-look-at-honda/

So, Honda makes people happy, how many people here, has Honda made happy? And what models have you owned?
    I see three bikes in the movie that I have owned.

i think industry of ww2 saw plenty of advances in technologies, germany, japan, us of a,the english i think were leaders, today these contries put out the mainstream in personal transportation vehicles, no surprise, then we have the italians, everything they make is wow!!!
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I saw the CT-70 on the assembly line that was my first bike. Was surprised I did not see a CT-90 since they were so popular as well as any SL model which I had as well. Those bikes brought great joy to me as a kid. I also had a 1976 Civic which handing down thru the family had over 250,000 miles of not the best service before letting the smoke out.

The engines on the assembly line for the 73 Civic looked the same physical size as the XS 1100.
      1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

most hondas make me happy when I see them in my mirror 2 of my dirt bikes are Hondas.

Comment

My 1st bike, Honda CL175. Then a CB200 followed by the CB400T2 that I raced. At different times I also had an XR250 and XL250. Had a (free) CM185 for about 6 months.
          Only other bikes I had was a Suzuki TS185 and my XS's
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I am resurrecting a '71 CB500. Hasn't had a chance to either impress or piss me off yet. I don't however care for the ridiculous 4-4 exhaust system they chose.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

My roommate (years past) had a 74(?)CB500. I remember reading it was one of the 5 worst bikes made in the 70's. He was happy with his. He traded it for a new GPz550 and the next year for the new 900 Ninja.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Best bike I ever owned was an '85 Honda VT1100 Shadow. Drove it for 14 years and nearly 100,000kms and just changed the fluids, tires, spark plugs and air filter.

After that I traded it for my current home. I still know where it is.

I've also had a `69 CT90, a '75 CB360T, and a '77 CB750-4K. Never had any trouble with any of them that could be attributed to the bike.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

This is cool, something you don't see every day.

http://www.tubaman.org.uk/nirvanamot...20Web%20BB.wmv Moving motor cutaway

This unique cutaway CB750 engine was put together about 10 years ago by a longstanding Japanese motorcycle enthusiast and experienced restorer. He put this together as a bit of a hobby and displayed it at a prominent London dealer for many years.

Everything moves; you can see the crank and pistons, valves, cam, primary drive, gearbox and clutch. The whole thing is driven by a small electric motor.

Comment

BrianB,

I received a "hand me down" 84 CRX about 13 years ago. I am still driving it now.

I've done many repairs to it:
                    front axles
                    front and rear brakes
                    cylinder head job / timing belt
                    clutch
                    transmission
                    entire front end (CRX, 1 - deer, 0)

It's the carbureted model. She is right at about 290,000 miles right now and I get around 45mpg on the highway.

I would have a hard time looking past Honda when it comes time to buy another vehicle. I also own 3 Honda motorcycles right now.

Ben
                    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                    1982 XS650
                    1980 XS1100g
                    1979 XS1100sf
                    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

"...cutaway CB750..."

Nice, but the durn thing is turning the wrong way...
                      Marty in NW PA
                      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

Cool videos GNEPIG

I own 8 old Honda's ranging from 1962 CB77 to 1978 CB550/4.

My CB500/4 which is one of my favourite bikes (doesn't say much for the rest of them )

Happy????? Yup!
                        Tom
                        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Hi GNEPIG,
                          those cut-away demonstration engines are very impressive. The one we had in the apprentice training workshop was of a Bristol Centaurus 18 cylinder twin bank sleeve valve radial aero engine. Now that was REALLY impressive. Alas that making those things is becoming a lost art. It is so much easier to use 3D computer graphics to do the same thing without paying for thousands of hours of machine shop time.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Marty
                            it turns the right way for a honda, the xs 11 turned the other way , supposed to be a big deal to keep the front end down etc.
                            how's y'all , token Murrican for ya
                            Jim
                            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                            and SOXS
                            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I am well thank you. Shoveled a little snow today.

I mentioned to fredintoon that we saw the Hercules 14 cyl slide valve from the Hallifax when we were in Picton.

"...significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced."
                              Are you positive???
                              Marty in NW PA
                              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                              X