Old po took apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old po took apart

I need to know how the wires hook back to the bracket and how it was installed on a 81 kz 750. The ignitor was missing and all the parts were hanging. Got a new ingitor and looking forwards to hearing it run today. Thanks!
    68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
    76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
    79 special (skull bike)
    79 special (parts bike w/title)
    79 special
    80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
    81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
    81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
    80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
    81 650 maxim
    81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
    88 Zx 600r (Sold)
    01 Gz 250

Just a head's up!

Don't try to attach any wires to the ignitor until & unless you know which one goes where, One wrong wire can ruin your newly bought ignitor in no time...

Comment

Colors match new wires to old I hope that wil work. my problem is how this metal bracket fits into the bike. Got a friend on his way over maybe the 2 of us can figure itout.
      68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
      79 special (skull bike)
      79 special
      81 650 maxim
      88 Zx 600r (Sold)
      01 Gz 250

Comment

installed new ignitor and nothing. bike lights up but doesn't turn over. going to put the battery on the charger and see if maybe I don't have enough juice.
        68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
        79 special (skull bike)
        79 special
        81 650 maxim
        88 Zx 600r (Sold)
        01 Gz 250

Comment

Got the kz 750 to start today!!!!!! had to start it by jumping the silinioid (hope I spelled that right). need to take apartthe start switch button and clean it. If that don't work what is my next option?
          68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
          79 special (skull bike)
          79 special
          81 650 maxim
          88 Zx 600r (Sold)
          01 Gz 250

Comment

Well,
            If it works anything like the XS11, then take a piece of wire, and find the small gauge one that goes from the solenoid to the starter button, and then jump the wire at the solenoid to a known good ground! IF the solenoid triggers and bike starts, then you could have a break in the wire from the solenoid to the starter button, or a bad or poor ground at the starter button, they can corrode internally, as well the wire come unsoldered from the contact plate inside the handlebar switch!

IF the jumper wire doesn't trigger the solenoid, then it might be bad. Folks have taken apart some and cleaned the contacts inside, just disconnect the battery first! Otherwise, you may need a solenoid!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks topcat I will be trying that this weekend! hopefully I canget it running better. She runs great but I would rather not start it with a screwdriver.
              68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
              79 special (skull bike)
              79 special
              81 650 maxim
              88 Zx 600r (Sold)
              01 Gz 250

Comment

I chased a solenoid problem for quite a while because I didn't think those little square, four-post cut-out relays could go bad, but one had. It had rusted inside, so that a few volts always flowed through the rust, but the electromagnet never engaged to close the curcuit. I finally figured that out by jumping the harness wires and bypassing the relay.

There are three or four relays on every starter curcuit to ensure that the neutral switch or sidestand switch are in the proper place before the starter engages. Any boneyard will have a load of them. I bought an old wiring harnes from eBay for five bucks and it had four of the relays. My local boneyard wanted five bucks per!
                "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Oh, and on the same bike, the solenoid had corroded internally, too, so that it wouldn't engage. I love electrical problems...especially multiple electrical problems...
                  "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

If ya get in a bind, Kohler or Briggs and Scrapiron have a really small solenoid for there electric start engines. Figured that one out when my Kaw lost the start solenoid, $87 from Kaw, $11 from Kohler and two new spade terminals, even fit the same bracket as the OEM.

I don't know what the relationship is between Kawasaki and lawnmower engines.
                    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                    X